Orange Pi Zero (H2+/H3) TV Out on Mainline, WORKING

Strontium

Well it took me longer than i hoped but i have managed to forward port icenowys code for TVE on the H2+/H3 to mainline armbian.  It seems to work totally fine, with a few caveats.

First: Sample images of it in action -> https://imgur.com/a/vXQEM

Second: the patch itself -> https://github.com/stevenj/h3-tve/tree/v0.0.11

Third a prebuilt image for Orange Pi Zero: -> https://github.com/stevenj/h3-tve/releases/tag/v0.0.11

Howto:

just put the patch into userpatches for the sunxi-next kernel, and build.  it should apply cleanly. Its for H2+/H3.  I have only tried it on a orange pi zero, but it should work on all H2+/H3 boards.

You then need to edit /boot/armbianEnv.txt

add tve to overlays to enable it.  the driver will only run and enable tv out when the tv out devices are specifically enabled, so i created an overlay which does this.  If you want to turn TV out off, just remove tve from the overlays line.

My armbianEnv.txt overlays looks like this:

overlays=usbhost2 usbhost3 tve

If you want copious amounts of DRM debug info in your logs, add this as well:

extraargs=drm.debug=0xF

Its not needed, unless you really want the debug info.

Notes:

1. The default mode is PAL, with 720x576 resolution.  Thats outside of normal PAL displayable area, and so the screen overscans.

I dont know how to correct this, although its mostly just annoying with terminals.

I also don't know how to change the video mode to NTSC.

2. The standard font is a bit thin for composite video, and causes slight strobing and color impurity.  Its because PAL needs pixels to be a certain MINIMUM width or color information can not be properly encoded.

A way to resolve this is use :

# apt-get install fbterm

$ fbterm -s 20

This will run a terminal which is easy to change the font, and pick a bigger one.  its much easier to read.  Look at the help for fbterm to work out everything it can do.

3. I used the program "fim" to display the test images.  there are others for doing stuff on the terminal.

4. I haven't tried X.  I am not interested in running an X terminal on a TV, but it should probably work fine.

Other than that it all seems good.  I originally tested my hardware with the legacy kernel, and the image quality from this patch seems superior to what the legacy kernel produces. (legacy was noisy)

The only other thing you need to know is Orange Pi Zero is missing filter circuity from its Composite Output, the most important thing you need to do is put a 50 ohm resistor between the signal and GND.  i soldered one inside my RCA connector, it fits fine and isn't too difficult.  IF you don't do this the image will bloom and look like total crap, so you have been warned.

As this patch allows TVE to be enabled/disabled through use of the Device Tree overlays, i think it should be fine if the Armbian devs want to include it.  I am happy to clean out some of the debug messages i added if they are interested in making a standard part of the build.  If not, its easy enough to build your own image, just follow the guides on how to rebuild armbian.

EDIT: I need to mention, all props go to Icenowy Zheng who wrote the original driver.  I just tweaked the device tree stuff and got it in a state where it can apply cleanly to the armbian mainline kernel and build system.

Original code is here:

https://github.com/Icenowy/linux/tree/tve-v2

Edited by Strontium
Add reference and attribution to original code.

Just an update, X installs and runs fine on the Orange PI Zero using my patch.  HOWTO:

Install a desktop using

sudo tasksel

after its all finished properly, reboot.  You will then get this:
https://imgur.com/a/seu9t

if you want to change video mode, you can do it with xrandr like this:

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output Composite-1 --mode NTSC
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output Composite-1 --mode PAL

You only need the "DISPLAY=:0" if you are doing the mode setting from a ssh terminal.

Supposedly xrandr can scale the desktop and move it around (which could help with the overcan problem) but i couldn't get it to work in the 5 minutes I allocated to testing it.

On 2/27/2018 at 6:41 PM, Strontium said:

Just an update, X installs and runs fine on the Orange PI Zero using my patch.  HOWTO:

Install a desktop using

sudo tasksel

after its all finished properly, reboot.  You will then get this:
https://imgur.com/a/seu9t

if you want to change video mode, you can do it with xrandr like this:

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output Composite-1 --mode NTSC
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output Composite-1 --mode PAL

You only need the "DISPLAY=:0" if you are doing the mode setting from a ssh terminal.

Supposedly xrandr can scale the desktop and move it around (which could help with the overcan problem) but i couldn't get it to work in the 5 minutes I allocated to testing it.

how to set NTSC mode if I don't have X11 ??

On 12/4/2018 at 2:49 PM, dony71 said:

I have this in dmesg ... what could it be wrong?

sun4i-drm display-engine: No panel or bridge found... RGB output disabled

also lsmod should show sun4i_tv? it didn't show in my case

attached are debug and kernel log

debug

kern.log

I don't know why tve overlay is not being recognized in armbianEnv.txt so I decide to change board dts

Updated log attached and notice component /soc/tv-encoder@1e00000 being added

However why reported component No output to bind??

As a result sun4i_tv not showing in lsmod

Anybody has clue?

debug

kern.log

On 11/20/2018 at 2:55 PM, giri@nwrk.biz said:

Hint on how to maybe fix overscanning:

set a smaller resolution by kernel parameter (example):

video=Composite-1:720x480

Move the picture using this tool: https://projects.nwrk.biz/projects/allwinner-tvout

This is a similar approach like I did on legacy kernel (read here)

how do you set kernel parameter 'video=Composite-1:720x480' for mainline kernel ?

6 hours ago, Cesar Berci said:

Hi,

I have tried to use this patch with the current version and get this message from compiler:

[ warn ] * [c] z01_h3-tve-11.patch [ failed ]

The path is in userpatches/kernel/sunxi-current

+++ linux-4.14.y-tve/arch/arm/boot/dts/overlay/Makefile 2018-02-20 20:07:56.193893833 +0800

sunxi-current is 5.10.y atm. So patch might either have been upstreamed already or needs adjustments to work again. Check output/debug folder for further details.

Compiler log:

Processing file /home/cesar/dev/build/userpatches/kernel/sunxi-current/z01_h3-tve-11.patch
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/arm/boot/dts/overlay/Makefile.rej
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -Naur -x '*.orig' -x .git -x '.git*' -x '.get*' -x .mailmap -x .cocciconfig --no-dereference linux-4.14.y/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/sunxi/sun4i-drm.txt linux-4.14.y-tve/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/sunxi/sun4i-drm.txt
|--- linux-4.14.y/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/sunxi/sun4i-drm.txt    2018-02-20 10:42:18.000000000 +0800
|+++ linux-4.14.y-tve/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/sunxi/sun4i-drm.txt    2018-02-20 18:48:28.344412523 +0800
--------------------------
No file to patch.  Skipping patch.

What can I change to compile this patch?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there are differences in many files from version 4.14 to the current version 5.10, and I could create a new patch to the current version.

Modified files:

1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/arm/boot/dts/overlay/Makefile.rej
3 out of 6 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/gpu/drm/sun4i/sun4i_drv.c.rej
9 out of 17 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/gpu/drm/sun4i/sun4i_tcon.c.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/gpu/drm/sun4i/sun4i_tcon.h.rej
3 out of 13 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/gpu/drm/sun4i/sun4i_tv.c.rej
4 out of 8 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/gpu/drm/sun4i/sun8i_mixer.c.rej
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/sunxi/sun4i-drm.txt

Someone knows an alternative patch, working with the current version?

Thanks for all help!

On 1/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, jernej said:

@Cesar Berci it got me interested enough that I ported changes to v5.10 with cleaner approach. Here you have commit: https://github.com/jernejsk/linux-1/commit/ad153ef6ee5be33531187f97d5fa0c07455dc795

NOTE: You have to enable tve node in DT you want. I did that in OPi PC.

Any hopes for mainlining with Armbian/Linux? Now it could be accepted since it's a cleaner DT overlay.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, jernej said:

it got me interested enough that I ported changes to v5.10 with cleaner approach. Here you have commit: https://github.com/jernejsk/linux-1/commit/ad153ef6ee5be33531187f97d5fa0c07455dc795

NOTE: You have to enable tve node in DT you want. I did that in OPi PC.

hello
could you explain to me how to use what you have done or at least how to do so that i finally have a cvbs display on my nanopi duo 2 which also has an allwiner h3 chip. unfortunately I'm French I have to use Google Translate so I struggle a little more. I had succeeded in the past but my SD card dropped...