Hardware question: GPIO, SPI, UART, Wireless, Ethernet

bl4ckc00k1e

Hi all,

Well i am trying to add 2 wireless board and 1 ethernet controler with out successful...

The boards that i am trying are: Raspberry 2, BPI-M2  and in some weels Orange Pi Plus.

The idea is add :

1. a second ethernet 10/100/1000 to the board (enc28j60 module)
  2. one wifi card: http://www.sparklan.com/p2-products-detail.php?PKey=00b4zgTVJUGKMz3D2fh3hT0YqEY5pUo0Vq2M_xYD&WUBR-508N%20Module%20Series
  3. other wifi card: http://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/VIA-VNT9271-USB-Embedded-WLAN-Module/213061_633552912.html?storeId=213061

1. In the begining i try connect the ethernet enc28j60 module to the SPI, but in the banana sucks (http://lists.infrade...ary/229951.html), dont know how will work on rpi2, i supposed no more than 100

2-3. Well i try connect it to the UART conexión in the GPIO, TXD -> Data - and RXD -> Data + , Power and background, But dosnt work, i dont know why the boards don´t see this mini usb boards (well 1 of these shut down the boards O_O)

I connect well this wifis modules? or need a second board to connect this usb cables to the GPIO? 

Is better conenct ethernet on UART and not in the SPI?

So where i connect the Wifis, in the USB OTG?

I CANT USE THE 4 EXTERNAL USB

Can anybody show me the way to get this propose?

Thanks a lot.

Can anybody show me the way to get this propose?

Nope, seems impossible since you provide broken links (404) and mix up hardware (different boards that all have their own issues) and software (different OS images that all have their own issues).

The whole idea to collect crappy hardware (enc28j60 for example, why do you expect 'performance' from such a thing?!) that is both slow and hard to even physically interconnect seems a bit weird. Also posting things like 'I CANT USE THE 4 EXTERNAL USB'? Do you really expect an answer to that?

This ENJC modules were designed to connect micro controllers to Ethernet, to exchange small amount of data. Speed is low, as you can see in the "how to" article.

Well, if you want to do experiments and play, why not.  :)

This ENJC modules were designed to connect micro controllers to Ethernet, to exchange small amount of data. Speed is low, as you can see in the "how to" article.

Well, if you want to do experiments and play, why not.   :)

So the SPI is bad Idea use it.... maybe UART?

Nope, seems impossible since you provide broken links (404) and mix up hardware (different boards that all have their own issues) and software (different OS images that all have their own issues).

The whole idea to collect crappy hardware (enc28j60 for example, why do you expect 'performance' from such a thing?!) that is both slow and hard to even physically interconnect seems a bit weird. Also posting things like 'I CANT USE THE 4 EXTERNAL USB'? Do you really expect an answer to that?

Not sure why doesn`t work the links... i put others links to see the Wireless usb boards.

And yes, i cant use the 4 usb external, i need it freedom for other things... the idea is have a arm board with 2 ethernets (10/100/1000) and 2 specific wireless modules. 

The card here: http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan483.htmlis listed as a USB WiFi module so I doubt you will get very far by connecting it to the UART, especially if as your first post suggests you connect  TXD -> Data - and RXD -> Data +.

Why not use 3 of your 4 USB connectors for WIFI and Ethernet, then attach a USB hub to the 4th port for whatever else you want to plug in?

the idea is have a arm board with 2 ethernets (10/100/1000) and 2 specific wireless modules.

Than rather go for some better HW - Clearfog or similar. You got 6 + 1 + fiber and two places for wireless modules that actually works. All those USB adapters are mostly not usable or performing bad especially in AP mode.

I accidentally (hard) crashed the WEB server so a post or two might be gone :(

BTW: the reason was micro USB power short on common PSU which causes reset on devices which ware not backed with battery ;)

the idea is have a arm board with 2 ethernets (10/100/1000) and 2 specific wireless modules. 

And what do you expect in the end? Something that 'partially works' being slow as hell and unreliable? Or a stable and performant setup? If it's the latter you definitely will have to choose a different SoC family that focuses on I/O and network bandwidth: Marvell Armada as Igor already suggested or if it's just about 2 x GbE (and maybe crappy USB Wi-Fi) then i.MX6 might also work in case you get a board where the single PCIe lane the i-MX6 provides is used for a 2nd GbE NIC (but keep in mind that i.MX6 can not exceed 400 Mbits/sec using it's internal GbE implementation).

The card here: http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan483.htmlis listed as a USB WiFi module so I doubt you will get very far by connecting it to the UART, especially if as your first post suggests you connect  TXD -> Data - and RXD -> Data +.

Why not use 3 of your 4 USB connectors for WIFI and Ethernet, then attach a USB hub to the 4th port for whatever else you want to plug in?

Because i need the USB's free... its possible convert or use like normal USB the USB OTG?  For what i can use the GPIO? for nothing that i wanna?? :(

Than rather go for some better HW - Clearfog or similar. You got 6 + 1 + fiber and two places for wireless modules that actually works. All those USB adapters are mostly not usable or performing bad especially in AP mode.

Well some we know some chipsets that works very well with hostapd, but its true that a lot sucks, only few works well

I accidentally (hard) crashed the WEB server so a post or two might be gone :(

BTW: the reason was micro USB power short on common PSU which causes reset on devices which ware not backed with battery ;)

Well the Atheros usb board, not reset the board, directly turn off and dont turn on again, i think the seller give me broken or something, but is a good information, never know that.

For what i can use the GPIO? for nothing that i wanna?? :(

Exactly. Or let's better say: You can use any of the available low-speed busses for anything really weird (like connecting a SPI-to-GbE converter or other insane stuff).

A Raspberry Pi 2 has one single USB OTG port since its SoC has no more USB capabilities. This single OTG port is connected to an internal USB hub that also contains a slow Fast Ethernet chip. So your cry for "free USB ports" is pretty useless when using any RPi.

Banana Pi M2 also uses an internal USB hub so ports already share bandwidth. Same with the Orange Pi Plus you mentioned.

And none of these boards exposes USB RX/TX data lines through GPIO pins (the only exception I know is the Banana Pi M3 where you could solder something which would be even the worst choice since its USB setup is the most moronic of all: http://linux-sunxi.org/Banana_Pi_M3#USB)

You should do a reality check and drop the whole idea or choose appropriate hardware instead.

Exactly. Or let's better say: You can use any of the available low-speed busses for anything really weird (like connecting a SPI-to-GbE converter or other insane stuff).

A Raspberry Pi 2 has one single USB OTG port since its SoC has no more USB capabilities. This single OTG port is connected to an internal USB hub that also contains a slow Fast Ethernet chip. So your cry for "free USB ports" is pretty useless when using any RPi.

Banana Pi M2 also uses an internal USB hub so ports already share bandwidth. Same with the Orange Pi Plus you mentioned.

And none of these boards exposes USB RX/TX data lines through GPIO pins (the only exception I know is the Banana Pi M3 where you could solder something which would be even the worst choice since its USB setup is the most moronic of all: http://linux-sunxi.org/Banana_Pi_M3#USB)

You should do a reality check and drop the whole idea or choose appropriate hardware instead.

@tkaiser you always destroy my dreams xD

Thanks for ALL the info, now you punch in the face and i wake up :D

Well then... My last question... Chan chan...  :ph34r:

In case of rpi2 no... (because he use for power), but, in others boards like bpi-m2 (i know that you love it) or others boards, if i put and adaptor to the usb otg that finish in normal USB, and i connect a keyboard in that usb... Will work???

I know that the 480 mb are share in the 4 usb ports and in this case in 5 usb ports... but... will work???  :wub:  and if it work can work in 480 mb in case that i dont connect nothing in the external usb??.

Thanks again