ROCK64 2GB or ODroid HC1?

cyagon

Hello,

I want to build myself a tiny nas. 

I want to run both Nextcloud and gitea (git server) on it.

Which would you prefer?

#### ODroid HC1
- Board with power supply = 54,50$
- Case = 4,00$
- Shipping = 17,40$
- Total = 75.90$

Total with german customs fees = 72,85€

#### Rock64 2GB
- Board = 34.95$
- Power Supply = 6,99$
- JMS578 USB-to-SATA Cable= 9,99$
- Shipping = 11.99$
- Total = 63.92$

Total with german customs fees = 61,83 €

For help i would be grateful.

Sincerely,

cyagon

Thank you, @Igor_K

One problem could be the E2E encryption feature of NC13, since the HC1 doesnt have hardware-encryption and the RK3328 of the ROCK64 is still pretty new.

@tkaiser, do you have any informations about this? Which board would you prefer?

I would love to hear your opinion on this.

Sincerely,

cyagon

you might read through @tkaiser detailed reviews: :)

HC1:

and for the rock sata cable:

or since you're interested in crypto part of the rock64 tread:

or general about 'nas' (there's a lot of performance benchmarking inside):

And in case you want more information:

search.jpg.5549006196a9e503c95455e89ff022a5.jpg

that's how I find all those useful informations. :) 

12 hours ago, cyagon said:

@tkaiser, do you have any informations about this? Which board would you prefer?

Honestly: what I would prefer doesn't really matter. :)

Just a few notes:

• With latest 4.14 kernel there is HW accelerated crypto possible with Exynos 5422: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/disk_encryption -- no idea how easy it is to use though and you should keep in mind that Armbian's next branch still uses kernel 4.9 (the last try to switch to 4.14 ended up in bricked boards but once this is resolved this functionality should be available with Armbian too)
  • RK3328 implements ARMv8 Crypto Extensions so at least software using AES will benefit from this automagically. @chwe pointed already to threads with performance numbers, you could also have a look in ODROID N1 thread to compare cryptsetup benchmark numbers (though made with RK3399 so you have to do the math on your own using RK3328/RK3399 openssl numbers to compare HC1 and Rock64 performance here)
  • since you mentioned 'german customs fees': buying at Pollin should ease warranty handling and stuff: https://www.pollin.de/search?query=odroid hc1&channel=pollin-de

Since you compare two boards running different architectures and since you seem to be keen on 'more DRAM' you should keep in mind that memory usage with a 64-bit userland can be much higher compared to running a 32-bit userland. See especially the links I reference here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=192321#p1281326

In case the tasks you want to use are memory hungry running with an arm64 userland on Rock64 can result in lower performance compared to HC1 using the same amount of memory. So choosing an armhf userland instead might be an option. Not possible with Armbian right now but since the excellent ayufan images exist a good basis could be his armhf OMV release: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases (grab latest image marked as 'release' and avoid 'pre-release' if you're not an expert). AFAIR Nextcloud should be installed best in a Docker container then...

48 minutes ago, Igor_K said:

I tried `ubuntu-16.04.3-4.14-minimal-odroid-xu4-20171213` but disk I/O was slower, it lacks some armbian tweaks apparently.

That's surprising since Hardkernel AFAIK chose to run on their OS images at full speed all the time (while Armbian and OMV choose to provide full performance when needed but let the CPU rest when there's nothing to do. We use ondemand cpufreq governor for a reason and we implement some tweaks needed for IO workloads. Maybe their Ubuntu image suffers from an Ubuntu bug on ARM I explained already here and there?).

Anyway: performance can suck for a variety of reasons and often it's not related to the latest thing one did (eg. trying out another distro or stuff like that). Only active benchmarking can give answers to such questions but unfortunately that's always very expensive in terms of time 'wasted' to get a clue what's really going on :)