Temps

Chad Paul

Anybody know how I can get the CPU temps for this CPU from Armbian?  Armbian monitor seems to be missing that info and other common methods seem fruitless as well.  I'm just trying to see if my cooling is being effective enough.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, Chad Paul said:

Anybody know how I can get the CPU temps for this CPU from Armbian?  Armbian monitor seems to be missing that info and other common methods seem fruitless as well.  I'm just trying to see if my cooling is being effective enough.

Were you ever able to complete your testing?  I am interested in passive cooling options for my Le Potato boards. My current setup is rack mounted with no cases and I would prefer to stay with a heatsink unless fans are much more effective. I don't want more power draw from the fans if I can avoid it.

3 minutes ago, Tido said:

The A53 does not get very warm, also because of the Blob controlling it as of right now. Use a large heatsink and you are fine

That's fairly interesting. I can't quite accommodate something quite that tall but I can probably get close. I know you made that one by cutting up a larger heatsink but do you have any suggestions that might be commercially available?  Is there a heatsink manufacturer with a good reputation I should be looking at? I know the materials used ha a big affect on the effectiveness.

Also on your other point about the Blob - does that mean there is more CPU power potential that is currently locked away to keep the temperature down?

10 hours ago, datsuns said:

Also on your other point about the Blob - does that mean there is more CPU power potential that is currently locked away to keep the temperature down?

If you read through the other thread closely you'll realize that there's nothing related to temperatures. It's just some proprietary closed sourced code running on an own MCU inside the SoC controlling the clockspeeds, ignoring the cpufreq framework running in the Linux kernel and reporting bogus values back to the kernel. It's Amlogic you're dealing with.

The benchmarks @Da Xue did a while ago clearly demonstrate this: https://libre.computer/2018/03/21/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-review-and-comparison/ (see the openssl numbers. If S905X would be running at 1.5 GHz as claimed the openssl scores need to be much better compared to RK3328, but this is an indication that the code running on the M3 Core simply does what it wants while cheating on the kernel and reporting wrong cpufreq clockspeeds while running lower in reality.)

On 5/3/2018 at 9:00 PM, TonyMac32 said:

I use a smaller one from Amazon, 50mm x 25mm x 10mm, but they are unavailable now...Worst case you need to cut off a couple fins to clear passives that stick up too high...

I believe in recycling.*  Rip the heat sinks off old motherboards, get out the hacksaw and cut them to size.  Chipset heat sinks are usually a good size to be repurposed for embedded devices.  A bit of epoxy on each corner of the IC package, a dab of heat sink grease in the middle and drop the sink into place.  It's not exactly removable after, but it does the trick.

* or, maybe I am actually THAT cheap!

19 minutes ago, subhuman said:

I believe in recycling.*  Rip the heat sinks off old motherboards, get out the hacksaw and cut them to size.

I have a nanopi Neo Air sitting on top of a same-size mobo heatsink.  I just don't have as many old mobos as I have SBC's, and rarely could I fit those into a case.  ;)