Armbian for Banana Pi M2 Zero

Abdul Badalambadad

M2 Zero is .csc (=community support configuration) means there's no support and you have to build an image on your own with armbians buildscript.  We don't test if images made for CSC boards boot and don't provide end-user support for them. In case it doesn't work you can ask in the forum but don't expect that this is 'high pressure issue' for the maintainers (they still have enough to do with the boards we officially support).  That's while this message will show up in the buildscript:

csc.jpg.8a11aca1cfee1cd582a93c04bc5fdaef.jpg

and that's why I'll move this thread to community forums.. :P

Thank you for your quick reaction. I will try to give it a shot, but I will probably try to return the device to the merchant, because I've found the thread, where tkaiser is explaining the situation.

I feel like a total dumbass now...

Do you know how long does Armbian take to compile?

1 hour ago, Abdul Badalambadad said:

I feel like a total dumbass now...

oh.. don't feel mad. Somewhere on my table there's an OrangePi 2g-IoT laying around... :P (the SoC on your board has at least good support on kernel side.). And I've a BPi M2 Zero too somewhere (but I don't pay much attention to this board at the moment).

1 hour ago, Abdul Badalambadad said:

Do you know how long does Armbian take to compile?

depends.. On my laptop (4 GB ram >5 years old) with virtualbox, 8h... on my 'buildmachine' a (7 years old i5 with 8GB ram and a recent SSD, without virtual machine which is not recommended - so don't do it my way.. :P) with cached kernel etc. 10minutes (first build without the stuff cached ~40min).

I can build one to see if it boots but I can't provide a builded image. 

Edit:

U-Boot SPL 2017.11-armbian (Mar 13 2018 - 05:23:52)
DRAM: 512 MiB
Trying to boot from MMC1
MMC: no card present
mmc_init: -123, time 2
spl: mmc init failed with error: -123
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Seems not.. I guess it's due to this one here:

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/0df0209db90855355abab5326ef075f8feb89ba5#diff-38c994f09106d3b8d9bc91cd2e61a7a8

But as said: provided As Is... and I don't want to do U-Boot hacking again (to be honest I mostly terrible fail when it comes to uboot... :P )

Maybe @Nora Lee or @Lion Wang are interested that their patches do not work anymore with armbians buildscript and cause they share this patches too on their github (opening an issue there might also be a starter). 

I must be doing something wrong. I am not able to get any output on screen with self-compiled armbian. Prebuilt image based of ubuntu worked (not great). What am I doing wrong?

With the prebuilt image the red LED turned of after a while and then it started to work. But with self-complied armbian it glows red forever, CPU generates heat, but nothing on display. Any tips? For a complete noob?

I've tried Stretch and Jessie, both mainline kernel.

16 minutes ago, Abdul Badalambadad said:

I must be doing something wrong.

Most probably not. This board has been added untested for whatever reasons to Armbian's build system with patches that can't work. Since one of those patches was rather dangerous it has been now removed and now someone needs to fix this crap or the remaining 4 files should be removed too: https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/075259c3456c6ef016460be18d3eeddc66e4fed1

The way this board is handled now in the build system is just an insane mess leading to our users wasting their time for nothing!

15 minutes ago, Abdul Badalambadad said:

I am migrating to rpi-zero

In case you want to give the BPi Zero a 2nd chance it might be an option to try to poke the vendor as @chwe already suggested. If they would start to support their own hardware properly (not using ugly hacks but a sane fix as they got for free from community member Icenowy) and submit a sane pull request against Armbian's build system adding this board as CSC configuration would end up with users being able to build their own images (though @Sombohan got it working as he outlined in the other thread -- but we can not a add an ugly hack to the build system that breaks every other Allwinner board just to add one board most probably none of the developers have in their hands)

I understand your reasons, but I haven't good feeling about this board any more and I just don't want it. The dissapointment was too brutal :). The best thing is that most of the image links on their official forum is dead.

Plus there is a law in my country, that the merchant must refund me full price if I return it before 3 days since purchase so I will happily use it.

I already own the first RPi and because everything was smooth with it, I've tought that it works this way with all vendors since they are all open source, sharing, not greedy, etc...

And the next try will not be RPi-zero, but NanoPi M1 1GB. It actually suits me better.