BPI M1 Warning bad CRC - using default environment

sibianul

Hello guys,

do you know what might cause this error, it seems my "smart home" controller is not booting up anymore.

In the last 2 weeks it happent again to not display any webpage while accessing it by IP, also the SSH was not working, all leds ware blinking like usually are, like there was normal activity, but it didn't respond  to any request, only the ping was working, anything else was not (apache, samba, ssh). I turned it off by long-pressing the power button, it booted up, showing this warning "warning bad CRC - using default enviroment" and it passed by, showing the armbian logo and a blinking cursor, but that's it, nothing more. I think it is self restarting now like every 10 minutes.

Anyu ideea what might be wrong? Is it the HDD ? (The OS is on the SATA HDD)

If it's the HDD and it will still be accessible on another machine, do you guys know if there are tools to copy the entire disk to a new one ?

Thank you.

Quick update. 

I turned it off again, but this time I also removed the power connector from the HDD (the HDD is powered from an external ATX source, the same source provides 5v to BPI M1, but when turning off BMI, the hdd is still spinning ) 

After plugging the connector back, and powering on the BPI, it booted up just fine. And exact same thing happent now a week or two ago, it only powered up after removing also the power from the HDD.

This setup was 24/7 online for almost one year, no problem at all until now. Should I change the HDD with a new SSD ? This one is an old HDD, about 4 - 5 years old.

If there are any logs you want to see to find any possible issue, just ask, I will be happy to show you anything.

Thank you.