Configuration doesn't stick

JMCC

Some more info about the devfreq bug. I have tried many possible fixes unsuccessfully. But I have noticed that, no matter what changes I make in the kernel config with the Armbian build script, the file "/boot/config-4.4.119-rockchip" never changes. And, worst of all, it includes the following lines:

# DEVFREQ Governors
# CONFIG_DEVFREQ_GOV_SIMPLE_ONDEMAND is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
CONFIG_DEVFREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
# DEVFREQ Drivers
# CONFIG_ARM_ROCKCHIP_DMC_DEVFREQ is not set
# CONFIG_PM_DEVFREQ_EVENT is not set

I think those can be causing the problem. But, as I say, I can't seem to change that config file, no matter what changes I make, either through the Armbian menu-driven kernel config tool, or editing by hand the file "config/kernel/linux-rk3328-default.config" in the Armbian build tool.

Could it be a bug in the Armbian build script? Is it possible that, even though the config file in the "/boot/" directory doesn't change, the script is actually honoring my changes when actually building the kernel image?

Well, the fact is that no matter what I change, it seems to have no effect.

Alright, I have the issue fixed, Mali frequency is correct per the opp table, and can be changed using the proper echo's.

The culprit, I believe, was the rockchip kernel having mali400 enabled by default. (this was true of the old kernel as well, I disabled it, but it kept showing up selected in other kernels so I left it alone here) In any case, this violated the dependencies of the devfreq driver.  I also enabled all the various governors (no powersave, I'll check again):  Found it, some reason was "m" instead of "y"

root@tinkerboard:/sys/devices/platform/ffa30000.gpu/devfreq/ffa30000.gpu# ls
available_frequencies  cur_freq  governor  max_freq  polling_interval  subsystem    trans_stat
available_governors    device    load      min_freq  power             target_freq  uevent
root@tinkerboard:/sys/devices/platform/ffa30000.gpu/devfreq/ffa30000.gpu# cat available_governors
userspace performance simple_ondemand
root@tinkerboard:/sys/devices/platform/ffa30000.gpu/devfreq/ffa30000.gpu# cat available_frequencies
100000000 200000000 300000000 400000000 600000000
root@tinkerboard:/sys/devices/platform/ffa30000.gpu/devfreq/ffa30000.gpu# cat cur_freq
root@tinkerboard:/sys/devices/platform/ffa30000.gpu/devfreq/ffa30000.gpu# echo 100000000 > min_freq
root@tinkerboard:/sys/devices/platform/ffa30000.gpu/devfreq/ffa30000.gpu# cat cur_freq
root@tinkerboard:/sys/devices/platform/ffa30000.gpu/devfreq/ffa30000.gpu#

(I changed it from 400000000 to 100000000 because I had already run through the commands once.)

Going to ./build/output/config the file was sitting there waiting for me.  I will have uploaded it to the development branch by the time you read this. (unless you're sitting waiting for this message to post, in which case you may check before it gets committed)

6 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

this violated the dependencies of the devfreq driver

Then that can be the reason why the kernel kept reverting to disable those other configs after I enabled them. 

13 hours ago, Igor said:

I haven't noticed such troubles in general

That's right, as a matter of fact now I remember some other changes I tried at the beginning and they made it correctly into the compiled kernel. I guess frustration blurred my mind when I wrote that post. But I learnt a lot about device tree sources and kernel config files.

8 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

I will have uploaded it to the development branch

Confirmed to work in current development branch kernel