Pi-factor cases

TonyMac32

On 7/14/2018 at 11:27 PM, TonyMac32 said:

@guidol has a good looking case mentioned in the NanoPi K1+ thread

today - when I did try to relase a Samsung EVO 32GB from the K1+ - a screw (which hold the mainboard) did "break" out of the aluminium-case :(

The Samsung EVO 32GB seems to be thicker than the 16GB SanDisk Ultra - so the Samsung EVO 32GB had problems getting out of the case after the release click :(

IcyBox_Screw.jpg

Nice idea for a case:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/cases-183/raspberry-pi-b-plus2-and-3-cases-1122/pi-box-pro-industrial-case-silver

Having connectors on multiple sides makes it difficult to house the Raspberry Pi Model B for industrial applications. Lincoln Binns has designed the Pi-Box Pro to solve this problem!

The Pi-Box Pro industrial case come with an extender board, bringing the HDMI and Micro USB sockets to the same end as the USB & Ethernet! The Pi-Box Pro can be mounted to virtually any surface, and is made of industrial grade aluminium. 

HDMI-Extender.png

Pi-Box-Pro-Extender.png

PIBS1.png

6 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

Anyone catching the irony to keep Micro USB for powering? Guess it all depends on your target audience...

YES :( on the inside a option for powering via the header-pins, but not at the outside...

but the front is acryl.... easy for adding a own powerport :)

5 hours ago, tkaiser said:

Anyone catching the irony to keep Micro USB for powering? Guess it all depends on your target audience...

the American way..  If one isn't enough.. double it...  :lol: What can go wrong with microUSB --> pinheader --> microUSB?

But that (to my knowledge) no boardmaker ever thought that a 'one side board' might be useful is something I never understood.. (okay, except the HC1..)

unfortunately no thanks to the big brand companies who brought the r-pi and tinkerboard (shudder) to the masses, for some reason, some brand companies seem to think micro-usb for powering a 10 watts or more board should be adequate, i'd guess that's why the board is designed that way in the first place :lol:

on another note i went for an orange pi choosing between that and tinkerboard as partly due to price and that for those orange pi boards i bought, they come with their own dc barrel jack connectors, it is simply better for a bit more board real estate

On 9/26/2018 at 2:30 PM, ag123 said:

unfortunately no thanks to the big brand companies who brought the r-pi and tinkerboard (shudder) to the masses, for some reason, some brand companies seem to think micro-usb for powering a 10 watts or more board should be adequate, i'd guess that's why the board is designed that way in the first place :lol:

on another note i went for an orange pi choosing between that and tinkerboard as partly due to price and that for those orange pi boards i bought, they come with their own dc barrel jack connectors, it is simply better for a bit more board real estate

Hehe... just wait for USB-C connectors on SBC's... that's going to be a mess with all the interesting options

(perhaps the reason why the folks over on Cupertino decided with their recent HW releases to keep their proprietary connection)

1 hour ago, sfx2000 said:

(perhaps the reason why the folks over on Cupertino decided with their recent HW releases to keep their proprietary connection)

I don't think continuing a 30+ year trend of using proprietary connections/hardware solutions is any indication of USB-C.

8 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

just wait for USB-C connectors on SBC's

They're there already: Firefly RK3399, Vim, Vim2, RockPro64, NanoPC-T4, NanoPi M4, Ficus, Renegade Elite and soon also NanoPi NEO4, Khadas Edge and Edge-V are equipped with USB-C.

Some of these boards use USB-C as power input. Here we need to differentiate between 'dumb mode' and 'USB PD compliant' (USB PD --> USB Power delivery specs):

So as long as there are not real USB-C chargers lying around in every household and all SBC are USB PD compliant USB-C for powering SBC is simply either a mess or an expensive adventure.

8 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

You're talking about some Apple smartphones and tablets still using their Lightning connector and not USB-C?

Most probably related to the count of peripherals that already use Lightning (Docking Stations and stuff like that). Apple was the company pushing hard for USB market adoption 20 years ago (giving up on their own proprietary ADB bus standard which resulted in a lot of users like me having to buy adapters for expensive ADB peripherals like graphics tablets and such stuff) and they also sent truckloads of engineers to USB Implementers Forum years ago when USB-C and USB PD were defined. Most probably to prevent USB-IF ever doing something silly as Micro USB again (so that they had to invent something own as Lightning since Micro USB already sucked back then).

3 hours ago, tkaiser said:

Here we need to differentiate between 'dumb mode' and 'USB PD compliant' (USB PD --> USB Power delivery specs):

maybe we should add 'dumb mode' to known issues for those boards? As soon as more PD chargers will come up those boards will create a lot of traffic here: https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-card-and-power-supply/

You're talking about some Apple smartphones and tablets still using their Lightning connector and not USB-C?

If those cables were not 30$ and the cheap fakes destroyed the phone. 

4 minutes ago, chwe said:

maybe we should add 'dumb mode' to known issues for those boards?

Sure, feel free to create an 'USB-C powered boards -- important information' thread or something like that.

5 minutes ago, chwe said:

If those cables were not 30$ and the cheap fakes destroyed the phone. 

How is that different with USB-C? See https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-usb-c-chargers-whats-safe-whats-dangerous/ or https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10916264/usb-c-russian-roulette-power-cords for example.

1 hour ago, tkaiser said:

Sure, feel free to create an 'USB-C powered boards -- important information' thread or something like that.

done: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8361-usb-c-powered-boards-important-information/

and done: https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-m4/

what about https://www.armbian.com/nanopc-t4/  ?

Feel free to enhance, it's only a starter. :) 

On 10/1/2018 at 11:59 PM, tkaiser said:

Apple did have some "courage" in removing MagSafe, DisplayPort/Thunderbolt, HDMI, SDCard and USB-A ports on the MacBook Pro's...

Courage != Smart, IMHO there, as many that had existing laptops fiercely resisted upgrades... as those ports/slots were very useful

(and most of the useful keys for the touchbar Macbook Pro's - that's courage I suppose to alienate many that do unix/linux dev on the shell, esc and tilde were muscle memory there with editors)

Notable they didn't replace Lightning with USB-C on the iDevices... which is one area where they would benefit due to regulatory pressure* from many regions...

* huge pressure from EU/China to do a common phone charging/accessory connector to reduce e-Waste, Apple is one of the last there