Ubuntu core build 16.04 with kernel for the Firefly roc-rk3328-cc

Hello all,

I have something that you might find useful. I created an image for the Ubuntu 16.04 core for the firefly roc-rk3328-cc board. 

I followed the firefly docs to compile the firefly 4.4.114 kernel and build out the u-boot image. 

I followed this guide http://docs.khadas.com/social/BuildUbuntuRootfsViaUbuntuBase/ to get the ubuntu rootfs.

I then created a disk image with the u-boot kernel, ubunutu rootfs, and the SoC.

It actually worked. This is a very minimal install to the point where I have to modify the rootfs guide above to include the eth0 interface and probably install the network-manager.  

I am going to write up documentation and exactly what I did tonight. Does anyone know of a particularly good location to place the images and particularly good message boards to get this out? Also, is there a decent guide on how to go from ubuntu core to a desktop with a GUI? Currently, this is a minimal working example rootfs, which I think is particularly useful for this community. I couldn't find an ubuntu rootfs for use with a u-boot board anywhere. 

The primary driver for this was to get OpenVPN support and iptables support for this device. The firefly image for ubuntu does not have TUN or xtables support built into the kernel. Mine should, but I still need to test that functionality. 

After I write up the documentation, I could probably figure out how to automate this via a series of shell scripts. Would that interest anyone?

Thanks,

~Ben

Posted just now · Hidden

I  am also doing the same. Try to build Ubuntu Core image for roc-rk3328 and i dont know from where exactly i need to start. What are the steps need to be followed ?

So need help on this.