Orange Pi Zero Plus2 H5 hardware oddity in VDD_CPUX power circuit

5kft

I soldered one of those on my board and it worked, but had some problems with 5v pins not giving enough voltage - but it boot up with no problems (I did the patching of armbian like it was presented in the first posts, by compiling it, etc.)

After I removed the mosfet the 5v pins were working as they should.

I'll check the output on the pins now. What voltage did you read?

Edit: just checked my board and all 5v pins are outputting at 5.09V and the 3.3 pins are at 3.34V so mine seems fine. What mosfet did you buy?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I have a Orange PI Zero Plus and I install ARMBIAN 4.19 system,

How can I  use board-h5-orangepi-zero-plus-add-regulator.patch to update the system?

Sorry, I'm a newcomer. Can this patch board-h5-orangepi-zero-plus-add-regulator.patch run directly in the system? Or do I have to compile the 4.19 kernel file first? Can you tell me more detailed steps?

10 hours ago, JamesX said:

I have a Orange PI Zero Plus and I install ARMBIAN 4.19 system,

How can I  use board-h5-orangepi-zero-plus-add-regulator.patch to update the system?

Sorry, I'm a newcomer. Can this patch board-h5-orangepi-zero-plus-add-regulator.patch run directly in the system? Or do I have to compile the 4.19 kernel file first? Can you tell me more detailed steps?

Unfortunately I don't have a Zero Plus so I can't really speak to specifics regarding it, but if you are running the 4.19.y kernel then you shouldn't have to do anything in this regard - it should work properly by default...?

9 hours ago, 5kft said:

Unfortunately I don't have a Zero Plus so I can't really speak to specifics regarding it, but if you are running the 4.19.y kernel then you shouldn't have to do anything in this regard - it should work properly by default...?

Zero Plus CPU working at 1.3Ghz now,

I have been unable to normal use it before ,because the MOS pin is not soldered well (the solder has a fault).

I upgrade system to 4.19,and set '/boot/armbianEnv.txt'  add 'gpio-regulator-1.3v cpu-clock-1.3GHz-1.3v'

2 hours ago, JamesX said:

Zero Plus CPU working at 1.3Ghz now,

I have been unable to normal use it before ,because the MOS pin is not soldered well (the solder has a fault).

I upgrade system to 4.19,and set '/boot/armbianEnv.txt'  add 'gpio-regulator-1.3v cpu-clock-1.3GHz-1.3v'

Hi @JamesX, excellent - glad to hear this!  :)

FYI: Ordered my Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 H5 (Set 4) on January 10th, 2019 from Seller "Shenzen Xunlog Software". Received it last week.

Q5 is still unpopulated. PCB still says "Version 1.0". There's also a sticker on it.

IMG_1046.jpg

Ok I decided to give a second try with the new  armbian - I re-soldered a mosfet in that place and is not working, I've got this when checking cpufreq-info (I added the overlay line in armbianEnv.txt and the cpufrequtils max frequency):

cpufreq stats: 120 MHz:0.00%, 240 MHz:44.43%, 480 MHz:0.63%, 648 MHz:0.98%, 816 MHz:0.92%, 960 MHz:0.43%, 1.01 GHz:52.60%  (94)

I have 1.1v on 1V2C pad, with a fresh image  Armbian_5.75_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.20.img

First I thought it may be a solder error, or a damaged component . But I tried with an old image  Armbian_5.34.171121_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.13.14.img and I've got 1.3v on 1V2C pad, so I guess is a software problem?

LATER EDIT:

ok just found out that the overlay name was changed for some reason from cpu-clock-1.3GHz in cpu-clock-1.3GHz-1.3v - now it seems to work (hope will help future modders)

Edited by km1kze
revelation

Hi @km1kze, yes - that's correct.  I made the overlay change as with the newer kernel and board support there are a number of boards that provide implicit support for 1.3v regulators, and as such this overlay explicitly should be used with 1.3v regulators.  Similarly, I could make a 1.4v overclock overlay (e.g., for the NEO Core2) that would support 1.4GHz - I just haven't gotten around to doing this yet.  In any case, I'm glad to hear that this is working for you now!

9 hours ago, 5kft said:

Hi @km1kze, yes - that's correct.  I made the overlay change as with the newer kernel and board support there are a number of boards that provide implicit support for 1.3v regulators, and as such this overlay explicitly should be used with 1.3v regulators.  Similarly, I could make a 1.4v overclock overlay (e.g., for the NEO Core2) that would support 1.4GHz - I just haven't gotten around to doing this yet.  In any case, I'm glad to hear that this is working for you now!

@5kft Thank you for making this possible!

Thanks @km1kze :)  However I would like to thank the Armbian team for their awesome work in providing a great platform for supporting all of these boards...it is simply amazing!  :thumbup:

BTW, I just looked and now I recall why I didn't create a 1.4v/1.4GHz overlay - it's essentially included by default in the mainline now.  The default maximum clockspeed for 1.4v-capable boards (out of the box) is 1.368GHz.  My Core2 boards clock just fine to 1.400GHz at 1.4v, but I figured that it isn't worth introducing another overlay for such a small difference.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:40 PM, km1kze said:

Ok I decided to give a second try with the new  armbian - I re-soldered a mosfet in that place and is not working, I've got this when checking cpufreq-info (I added the overlay line in armbianEnv.txt and the cpufrequtils max frequency):

cpufreq stats: 120 MHz:0.00%, 240 MHz:44.43%, 480 MHz:0.63%, 648 MHz:0.98%, 816 MHz:0.92%, 960 MHz:0.43%, 1.01 GHz:52.60%  (94)

I have 1.1v on 1V2C pad, with a fresh image  Armbian_5.75_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.20.img

First I thought it may be a solder error, or a damaged component . But I tried with an old image  Armbian_5.34.171121_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.13.14.img and I've got 1.3v on 1V2C pad, so I guess is a software problem?

LATER EDIT:

ok just found out that the overlay name was changed for some reason from cpu-clock-1.3GHz in cpu-clock-1.3GHz-1.3v - now it seems to work (hope will help future modders)

I spent ages trying to find out why my OrangeZeroPlus board didn't clock higher until I saw this update to the name change in the overlays entry. 

OK, I'm glad you figured it out!  I'd be happy to document this all somewhere consistent (right now the instructions are buried in various posts in these forums, done as it evolved), but I'm not sure where that somewhere should be...

I finally got around to fixing my board. Works well now! Shocking solder job though :o.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:19 AM, 5kft said:

OK, I'm glad you figured it out!  I'd be happy to document this all somewhere consistent (right now the instructions are buried in various posts in these forums, done as it evolved), but I'm not sure where that somewhere should be...

How about here? https://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi_Zero_Plus_2 I notice there are still no mentions on the wiki of the missing MOSFET.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:47 AM, teenytinycactus said:

>>I finally got around to fixing my board. Works well now! Shocking solder job though :o.

My soldering probably isn't any better, but it works OK and with a fan keeps to under 30C.

image.thumb.png.77d3d77da78170edf50e82083add86e7.png

How about here? https://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi_Zero_Plus_2 I notice there are still no mentions on the wiki of the missing MOSFET.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:27 AM, Da Xue said:

@tkaiser Allwinner only certifies the H3 to operate at 1008MHz @1.2V and H5 to operate at 1008MHz @ 1.1V with DDR clocks up to 672MHz. Designs and software support for adjustable voltage and higher clock rates must be validated by the third party that chooses to implementing such features.  DVFS will not be supported in the Allwinner H3/H5 BSPs since the transition to AXP8036. I have seen some small boards with 16-bit DDR3 (1 DDR chip) clocked at 744MHz but they are almost guaranteed to have memory errors and video playback issues.

Recently revisiting things with H5 stability under certain SMP load factors* with @5kft and assistance with @lanefu - and H5 tends to be stable around 1104Mhz CPU/504MHz DDR with a 1.3v regulator overlay, and 1008/504 at 1.1v on NanoPi NEO2 - which doesn't really use the Mali450 at all.

@lanefu was using a different H5 board (Orange Pi something or other - pls comment) - but he was also able to reproduce the stability issue I noted.

Might be more interesting on something that engages all cores on the CPU, and does the GPU stress as well.

* openssl speed -multi 4 - which flexs the ARMv8 enhancements there, engaging more of the logical blocks in Cortex-a53 - note that the governor in use is schedutil, which tends to be a different code path than "performance" or "on demand"

@5kft - has been super awesome at helping out - reproducing the issue, concurring with analysis, proposing fixes...

sfx

• Igor unpinned this topic