M9X Max under Mate no Wifi

DDA

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am trying to convert a TV Box M9X Max (Android 6.0.1) into Mate.
Due to a handling error, I erased the Rom from the Box ... I did not find the Rom of the Box M9X Max, but that of the MXQ Pro + works correctly (Android 7.1.2).

I'm using the image: Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20171226.img

The problems I encounter:
- Wifi is not recognized, chip: HS2734A V15628 98MA (Broadcom 4329/30)
- I can not write the image on the eMMC: Android restarts in recovery mode
- The Box's remote control does not seem to work to turn the Box on and off

I browse the net for 2 weeks and I can not fix the problems.

I also tried other images of Mate without success.

Before my mistake I managed to save the Box features and they are identical to the MXQ Pro +:
- M9X Max: http://specdevice.com/showspec.php?id=d002-32ca-0033-c5870033c587
- MXQ Pro +: http://specdevice.com/showspec.php?id=ac30-f295-0033-c5870033c587 (I have not found a ROM under Androis 6)

The image above is the one that works the best and the fastest (the only one I manage to write in the eMMC), but clearly in "lsmod", there is no Wifi.

If anyone has idea to solve this, I'm interested.

DDA

Edit : I using gxl_p212_2g.dtb files

It's translated from French with Google translate ... sorry if the syntax is wrong

Good evening,
I did some tests without result.

1. I edited the file /etc/modules by adding:
- cfg80211
- brcmfmac

2. I edited the file /lib/firmware/brcm by marking the existing lines of the modules as text and added the lines:
- 43430 1 brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt \
- 17221 6 brcmfmac4329-sdio.txt \

in lsmod, I get the modules: cfg80211 and brcmfmac:

Screenshot.png.038e4ed6dd0c21f0fcf019debd8c30b9.png

I do not know what to do to get Wifi

I can not install Mate on the eMMC either, still the Android recovery mode

Hello,
Nobody has an idea of the image to use and which dtb file to use for my TV Box?
If I can not make linux work on it, I will unfortunately have to abandon this project which seemed to me excellent.
In the worst case, there is a TV Box with 2 Gb Ram and 16 Gb Rom that would work, taking into account that this is for a non-profit association.
Thank you for your help.
DDA

If your Android does not have WiFi, it means that the firmware you are using has incorrect dt and u-boot parameters. Perhaps in this model the WiFi chip is different, not the same as in the model from which you use the firmware. Disassemble the case and look at the marking on the chip wifi. Have you tried the standard procedure for Armbian - download dhd module (modprobe dhd) ?

IMHO for such projects do not need to take junk, which has no normal technical support. You need to use manufacturers that release their firmware and have a normal service to support their users.

As for Android, it has Wifi and it works very well.
I have already tried to load the dhd module, he found the brcmfmac module, but impossible to operate the Wifi (I do not have a wired network everywhere, which pushes me to use Wifi).
The Wifi chip is: HS2734A V15628 98MA ... according to my research it would be a broadcom SDIO card 4329/30

Regarding the ROM of this TV Box, I have contacts with the provider (Bqeel) and according to their last message, they will send it to me, but I'm still waiting.

I went to this solution because the intended use is the opening of a web page requiring very few resources and given the competitive price of TV Box, it was an inexpensive solution for our association ... several Boxes are planned.

Once functional on SD card, the transfer to the eMMC will be the next step, where I still have the problem that Android starts in recovery mode.

EDIT: as a reminder, due to a handling error on my part, I had to load the ROM of a box MXQ Pro + which is functional under Android, but it is Android 7.1.2 instead of 6.0.2 of the Original Rom

In my various tests, I found an image that had a dtb for the MXQ Pro +, but it does not boot on the SD card:
     - IMAGE: Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.79_mate_20180209.img
     - DTB: mxq_pro_plus.dtb
However, the password was: 1q2w3e4r instead of 1234

Thanks a lot for your help!

That's it, I put the files modified above back to their original values and I added the dhd module and rebooted the Box.

Here is the screen of your request + the modules loaded:

Screenshot2.png

30 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

use Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180406.img

Can you tell me where I can download this file? ... there is so much place on Yandex that I can not find it directly
What dtb do you think I should use?

I use another file : Armbian_5.37_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20171226.img

Hello,

I tried all dtb files you mentioned but this is not working...

The image you pointed to was 5.37 dated 09-Feb-18  instead of 5.41 of 6-Apr-18 you previously mentioned to me (see previous reply above)

Huge thanks for you help so far

DDA

I will receive from Bqeel the original ROM of my TV Box.
So it is again in M9X Max and Android 6.0.1.

This does not change my current problem, but at least I will be able to write it in the eMMC and therefore be able to use Mate from the Box itself and not only from the SD card (hopefully because it has already worked before my handling error).

If I take the list in Mate, it is indeed like that (posted above).
The last list is that of the TV Box itself, so Android, I activated the SSH to be able to check.

We can obviously see that we need to activate dhd in Mate.

If you have information about the Box itself, do not hesitate to ask for it.

I notice on this forum that I am far from the only one with a Wifi problem.
I can find no solution to this problem, neither here nor anywhere else.

Would it still be related to the dhd module?
By starting this project, I did not expect it to be so sharp and difficult to work with an ARM processor.

Having no knowledge on this subject, I remain dependent on the community, but it turns out that it seems insurmountable.

I am convinced that a module (perhaps the SDIO) is not activated in order to finally make the Wifi usable (in my case, also bluetooth).

Nobody has any idea?

IMHO. the problem can be two things.

1. Not correct data in the dtb file.

2. There is no support in the kernel.

With these problems you will have to deal on their own or look for those who have the same equipment.

This at least has the merit of being clear, but without rancor.

Since I do not have the knowledge to modify the DTB file and nobody can have this type of TV Box, I will unfortunately have to turn to more conventional terchnologies.

Can you however put me on the way to a functional TV Box (minimum 2 Gb ram) if I try this adventure anyway?

Hello,
I'm not the type to quickly give up and I investigated a little under Android and Linux.

I noticed that the messages of both parties are identical and thus gives a track for a solution:
1. In Android:

image.png.1308c2ebb1eccf5d0698624abc2f5291.png

2. On Linux:

Linux.png.ad9dc28b5b6b731104420cc237a33ddb.png

With what I found, I think it would be: BCM4334 02d0: 4334 (0x4334), but I have not yet been able to identify the nvram to use, nor the parameters to put in the config.txt file.
I tried to use the nvram of Android under Linux, without success.

Do you have an idea ?

image.png