Banana PRO: Testers wanted! SATA drive not working on some boards.

Gary Blake ヅ

I'm compiling with 4.3.3 config (will post after it finishes), if it doesn't help, this may be kernel related and it's better to ask for help in linux-sunxi google group.

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzshly303o0zklz/AABynxOZHvLfKt-IygF8_INka?dl=0

This also failed. I am not sure what this means at this point. Over to you guys.

Thanks

Gary

Uff. I would really like to recreate this error but am running my Banana (M1 not PRO) from SATA drive :)  Jessie / 4.4.1 (downloaded from my download site)

Thinking.

If you donate for a board I am going to get one but the main problem is time. It's hard to get Banana PRO in local store ... If I order, it would take up to one week, whole next week I am out of office ... 

http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MjE2NzkyOTk-/Bausaetze_Module/Entwicklerboards/Banana_Pi/Banana_Pro_Dual_Core_1_GB_DDR3_SATA_G_LAN_WLAN.html

From here I got stuff in 3-4days.

We need to solve this problem in less than two weeks :)

I also count that this is not a single incident and people will come forward with the exact same problem or without a problem with same hardware combination.

Another option is i post my board to you tomorrow and you should get it within a few days?

I have 2. One is in use as a NAS/PLEX/VIRTUALMIN - works superbly with armbian!:)

The other is a developemnt/test board (how i spotted the problem with the upgrade to 5.00) This board would not be missed as my NAS is working fine atm.

I tested SATA with kernel 4.4.1 on: Banana M1, M1plus, Cubieboard 1 ... can't reproduce.

Hmm, can you swap board with your live system? ;) I'll change topic to attract testers.

Works on cubietruck too. There are some commits that may be responsible for this (especially since /proc/interrupts lacks SATA entry), but this needs a) confirming that it is 100% kernel related (installing only linux-image and linux-dtb on top of 4.5 image) and then using git bisect to find commit that broke it.

Can I help with that?

Yes, with the first part. Grab Armbian 4.5 image from mirror.igorpecovnik.com and manually install 5.00 linux-image and linux-dtb packages (don't update u-boot, board supoort package or anything else) and check if this breaks SATA..

Okay, am just tidying some other things up. Will get onto that later. I will be away until wednesday so will get what i can done tonight.

root@bananapi:~# apt-get install linux-image-next-sunxi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-image-next-sunxi
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 76 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 11.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://apt.armbian.com/ jessie/main linux-image-next-sunxi armhf 5.00 [13.                                                                                       0 MB]
Fetched 13.0 MB in 15s (831 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 49566 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-next-sunxi_5.00_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-next-sunxi (5.00) over (4.5) ...
Setting up linux-image-next-sunxi (5.00) ...
root@bananapi:~# apt-get install linux-dtb-next-sunxi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-dtb-next-sunxi
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 75 not upgraded.
Need to get 63.3 kB of archives.
After this operation, 494 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://apt.armbian.com/ jessie/main linux-dtb-next-sunxi armhf 5.00 [63.3 kB]
Fetched 63.3 kB in 0s (107 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 50291 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-dtb-next-sunxi_5.00_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-dtb-next-sunxi (5.00) over (4.5) ...
Setting up linux-dtb-next-sunxi (5.00) ...
root@bananapi:~# blkid
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="000380a6" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID="b5d952cd-46ba-4d79-b669-ba961ec9559f" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000380a6-01"
/dev/sda1: UUID="38f93141-1d36-434f-9f53-ca0d6916fb0e" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="1bd8dd3e-01"
root@bananapi:~# reboot

Broadcast message from root@bananapi (pts/0) (Sun Feb 14 20:30:48 2016):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
root@bananapi:~#

login as: root
root@192.168.0.8's password:

____
| __ )  __ _ _ __   __ _ _ __   __ _
|  _ \ / _` | '_ \ / _` | '_ \ / _` |
| |_) | (_| | | | | (_| | | | | (_| |
|____/ \__,_|_| |_|\__,_|_| |_|\__,_|

Last login: Sun Feb 14 20:26:07 2016 from 192.168.0.100

Load: 0.57, 0.20, 0.07 - Board: 38.9°C - Memory: 966Mb

root@bananapi:~# blkid
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="000380a6" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID="b5d952cd-46ba-4d79-b669-ba961ec9559f" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000380a6-01"
root@bananapi:~# 

That broke SATA!!

Got the same problem here, first i thought my fault was to install 4.4.1 kernel first and got a non-booting system (system on sata ssd). I tried copying kernel files back (4.1.0rc6 as i used before) but couldn't get system to boot. Btw, after some fiddling at boot partition sytem now boots again with 4.1.0rc6 kernel. I tested armbian 5.0 image on a fresh sd card, system booted but sata ssd not present.

If someone builds a new kernel image i can safely test that safely on my fresh installed second sd card and report here.

Thank you. We need to do this systematically so it will take some time to prepare. Currently we know that 4.3.3 and older works while 4.4.1 breaks ... and only on Banana PRO.

I think I have the same issue on a Banana pi (non pro). Last weekend I started building my 'Banana-Pi-openmediavault' server from scratch with V5. In openmediavault I'm unable to mount the attached sata drive. When mounting OMV returns the following error: 

Failed to mount '*ID*': mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

I've tried formatting the HDD to ext3 and ext4, both to no avail.

I think I have the same issue on a Banana pi (non pro). Last weekend I started building my 'Banana-Pi-openmediavault' server from scratch with V5. In openmediavault I'm unable to mount the attached sata drive. When mounting OMV returns the following error: 

Failed to mount '*ID*': mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

I've tried formatting the HDD to ext3 and ext4, both to no avail.

Try lsblk, if your drive is present its definitively other problem...