Pine64: Mainline (4.14) with ubuntu server?

linda

Hello,
I'm using an pine64 with the old mainline Ubuntu server (version 5.32.170911, kernel 4.13) for my project.
Thanks for the great work for the Pine64-Armbian!

I would like to change to a new image LTS kernel 4.14, because the existing kernel version is no longer supported.
Unfortunately I only find the Debian Stretch version on the mainline kernel download server.

Is it possible to get a new image with Mainline kernel 4.14 and Ubuntu server?

and if not:
- If there is no image with 4.14 Ubuntu server, can I change from legacy ubuntu to kernel 4.14?

By the way, why ist the mainline-version using debian stretch, but legacy uses Ubuntu? How is the development planned further?

I would really appreciate an answer.

37 minutes ago, linda said:

Is it possible to get a new image with Mainline kernel 4.14 and Ubuntu server?

you can build one on your own (should be the 'proper' solution).. :) https://github.com/armbian/build

By the way, why ist the mainline-version using debian stretch, but legacy uses Ubuntu?

I think it's similar to the 3.4 legacy kernel situation for H3 boards, the kernel might be to old for debian stretch images...

How is the development planned further?

sorry.. I had to.. :P 

I think it is similar to all other SoCs, armbian depends on upstream for improvements. I think where possible armbian is builded on stretch for recent kernels, cause e.g. more recent packages than ubuntu xenial.

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade didn't helped for 4.13 to 4.14? (maybe you freezed the kernel?)

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply.

apt update && apt upgrade didn't helped for 4.13 to 4.14.

I didn't freeze the kernel (checked with the armbian-config-tool).

Is there a way to force an update from 4.13 to 4.14?

When you build an own image.. You'll start with 4.14.y:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/c2058e2106312ad7233a305b107bb5f1dac4836e/config/sources/sunxi64_common.inc#L31

probably @Igor didn't push the debs to apt.armbian.com.. Probably too for a reasonable reason (not enough testers or problems which aren't solved or or or.. ). 

Dev (switching to nightly):

https://asciinema.org/a/Goj9aUPvgpGk6YCx97Lqj3XwV

should bring you to 4.14.18. But just as a warning, by using it you're on your own.. Means, no end-user support, bugs must be expected - not only considered and probably didn't get fixed as fast as you expect it. It's not recommended for productive usage. 

2 hours ago, linda said:

Is there a way to force an update from 4.13 to 4.14?

Kernel name package was changed to linux-image-next-sunxi64, linux-dtb-next-sunxi64, ...  remove and install new packages but rather start with a new image.  But no warranty if this will work as expected. Both are development - no end-user support - builds.

Thank you very much for the quick help.
I changed my existing image with the armbian-config-tool to the 'next'-kernel and now I have the kernel 1.14 in operation. Great!

In addition I also created a new image yesterday, I will test this image and the possible options in the next few days.