[sunxi / Debian-like / CMA] New 5.0 update and custom kernel

RagnerBG

Hello. Maybe this is discussed already, but i can't find anything with the search. I have some modifications in kernel and other things and i have my own build image of Debian Jessie and deb-s with this modifications. Version 4.84 of legacy 3.4.110 kernel. The most important for me is contiguous memory allocator - CMA, which solved my problem mentioned here - http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/559-lamobo-r1-hardware-accelerated-driver/ , other things i can do under working system later, but i add them in image for ease.

The problem is, after latest upgrade every modification is gone, of course. I made a new deb-s, version 5.0 with CMA enabled and apply them, but when i make "apt-get upgrade" it still insist to upgrade linux-headers-sun7i and linux-image-sun7i, which lead me to the same situation. I try to compile a whole new image of version 5.0 and still this packadges require upgrade even if i had the same 5.0 version. How can i keep my config and modifications and still be able to upgrade?

And other problem, just to mention, it's not important for me as i use Debian Jessie in major. But i can't compile Ubuntu Trusty image. Every image i made is broken, no mater if i make clean compile or add some modification, while Jessie and Wheezy compile just fine. I try to compile under Ubuntu 14.04.3 Desktop and Server. And by broken i mean compilation finished without errors, but there are problems with first boot.

Hello. Maybe this is discussed already, but i can't find anything with the search. I have some modifications in kernel and other things and i have my own build image of Debian Jessie and deb-s with this modifications. Version 4.84 of legacy 3.4.110 kernel. The most important for me is contiguous memory allocator - CMA, which solved my problem mentioned here - http://forum.armbian...lerated-driver/ , other things i can do under working system later, but i add them in image for ease.

The problem is, after latest upgrade every modification is gone, of course. I made a new deb-s, version 5.0 with CMA enabled and apply them, but when i make "apt-get upgrade" it still insist to upgrade linux-headers-sun7i and linux-image-sun7i, which lead me to the same situation. I try to compile a whole new image of version 5.0 and still this packadges require upgrade even if i had the same 5.0 version. How can i keep my config and modifications and still be able to upgrade?

Custom kernel building needs to be fixed. When using build scripts you have the same kernel name and when the version goes up, kernel is replaced ... with our stock. I have to solve this in script, that you won't get "system" naming by default and those problems won't be any more. In this case your modified kernel will not be overwritten.

If you want to stay with general kernel updates is better to push your wishes to our config and your stuff will be working after we do an update.

And other problem, just to mention, it's not important for me as i use Debian Jessie in major. But i can't compile Ubuntu Trusty image. Every image i made is broken, no mater if i make clean compile or add some modification, while Jessie and Wheezy compile just fine. I try to compile under Ubuntu 14.04.3 Desktop and Server. And by broken i mean compilation finished without errors, but there are problems with first boot.

Thanks for info. Will be closely investigated.

Custom kernel building needs to be fixed. When using build scripts you have the same kernel name and when the version goes up, kernel is replaced ... with our stock. I have to solve this in script, that you won't get "system" naming by default and those problems won't be any more. In this case your modified kernel will not be overwritten.

I think use of apt-pinning should be the preferred way (or even commenting out armbian repository). If user installs new kernel with custom name without removing old kernel first, next Armbian kernel upgrade will still overwrite zImage link.

Is prebuilt Trusty image from armbian.com/download broken for you too? Or only self-compiled?

If you want to stay with general kernel updates is better to push your wishes to our config and your stuff will be working after we do an update.

I have to confess, i didn't understood the part with user patches very well, so i made it a little rough and dirty by edited the original files in /lib/config/ and added what i need. This way worked for me in version 4.83 and nothing required upgrade after. But with new 5.0 version and the same way of modification, linux-headers-sun7i and linux-image-sun7i require to upgrade on fresh image.

I was thinking to suggest adding of CMA (contiguous memory allocator) in some future kernel, but it can't be added as a module and i don't know how it will impact with memory use in headless servers with no need of video or xserver.

Is prebuilt Trusty image from armbian.com/download broken for you too? Or only self-compiled?

I forgot to mention. Image from download section is working, only my self-compiled wont.