root access denied via SSH?

Hi, I am using the Ubuntu desktop image found here https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-prime/ 

I am able to start the board, it lights up and connects to the network via ethernet -- I see it come up in my DHCP table and am then able to connect via SSH

Docs say to use root:1234 for login, but I get Access denied.

I found another forum post that says root is disabled via SSH by default.

When I try to connect locally, I get no video from HDMI so I don't know  what it's loading up to.  I had hoped to be able to configure via SSH but can't get in.

Any ideas on how I can proceed?

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, wocketpatch said:

I found another forum post that says root is disabled via SSH by default.

where did you found that? 

Do you have a USB-UART dongle to see what happens during boot? I guess you never saw the first boot login where you have to change the root password?

9 hours ago, chwe said:

where did you found that? 

Do you have a USB-UART dongle to see what happens during boot? I guess you never saw the first boot login where you have to change the root password?

My bad, the forum post on orangepi forums that I was referring to actually says it's disabled but not on Armbian.  I misread that part and thought that must be the explanation, since it definitely does not accept root:1234 

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3434

Still, I am unable to log in.  No I'm afraid I do not have the dongle. 

I tried re-imaging the card again to connect via SSH right away on first boot (since I had previously tried booting it several times before I tried to connect via SSH) but no luck.  It still says Access Denied.  I can't find any documentation that has a working username and password, though it is responding on port 22 and requesting a login.

12 hours ago, wocketpatch said:

Still, I am unable to log in.  No I'm afraid I do not have the dongle. 

And that is normal. You can't log in. You are forced to change a password and create a normal user. Then you can log in.

root

your new password

your new password again

username

password

password again

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-login

Thanks for confirming the order it asks for them, I had tried to do it blind (with just a usb keyboard) a few times with no luck.

In the meantime I found a monitor that seems to support the default res though, so I'm now able to see a login screen via hdmi. Alas, when I try root and 1234 i get the message 'Login incorrect or forbidden by policy'

I tried formatting the card and writing the image over again so I could see the first boot, and even then I get this same message, so I guess that explains why I wasn't able to do it blind either

Thanks for the replies so far!

20180408_232209-1008x435.jpg