Power surge bricked Cubox-i?

Gymnae

Question

Hello,

I had three power outages in quick succession, I think the second or third one caught the cubox while rebooting. It won't start anymore.

I attached pictures of what I see when plugging it into a TV for catching it's messages.

How can I unbrick my system without losing all my work on the SD card?

I saw how-to-unbrick-the-system, but I'm not sure where to download which files, since I'm not sure if I have NEXT, mainline or legacy installed. Does that even matter at this point?

IMG_20180406_232055.jpg

IMG_20180406_232100.jpg

5 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, Gymnae said:

How can I unbrick my system without losing all my work on the SD card?

Try to (force) SD card filesystem check on some Linux computer. Then save your work to the safe place if you haven't done that already.

55 minutes ago, Gymnae said:

I saw how-to-unbrick-the-system, but I'm not sure where to download which files, since I'm not sure if I have NEXT, mainline or legacy installed. Does that even matter at this point?

That won't help in this case since your SD card (filesystem) is most likely corrupted to some degree.

I have it mounted and did a check, the fs seems fine according to fsck.

Fore safetey, I created an image of the SD card with partimage.

Could it be, that it's just missing the dtb file? That it might be the result of a recent update late March? It's missing a DTB file, but can I restore it or tell it where to look for it?

17 minutes ago, Gymnae said:

Could it be, that it's just missing the dtb file?

Solidrun u-boot autodetects hardware (dtb select). Generally, it works but for some model, it doesn't. Check two things:

- do you have dtb files in /boot/dtb/

- do you have armbianEnv.txt? if not, create it and put fdt_file=some_most_likely_device_tree_blobk.dtb

Boot.

6 minutes ago, Igor said:

Solidrun u-boot autodetects hardware (dtb select). Generally, it works but for some model, it doesn't. Check two things:

- do you have dtb files in /boot/dtb/

- do you have armbianEnv.txt? if not, create it and put fdt_file=some_most_likely_device_tree_blobk.dtb

Boot.

Thanks for your sunday, super quick replies :)

It's back.

I followed these steps:

1. Created armbianEnv.txt with the following content: fdt_file=imx6q-cubox-i.dtb
  2. wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/armbian/build/master/config/bootscripts/boot-cubox.cmd
    mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr