Tinkerboard Power It using a battery

jkljkl1197

I try to get working a tinkerboard on a battery. I can do that with S.USV or S.USV Mobile but i don't know the difference between them. I have a xl4015 (5Amp buck convecter) but I don't really understand how it's work (i have a lm2596 too).
I have a 20AWG micro-usb too but i can power it too from gpio. So i search a quick way to get it work on a battery. I work and search on this since 5 week and i really need to get it work. Thx

10 minutes ago, jkljkl1197 said:

I try to get working a tinkerboard on a battery. I can do that with S.USV or S.USV Mobile but i don't know the difference between them. I have a xl4015 (5Amp buck convecter) but I don't really understand how it's work (i have a lm2596 too).
I have a 20AWG micro-usb too but i can power it too from gpio. So i search a quick way to get it work on a battery. I work and search on this since 5 week and i really need to get it work. Thx

Hi.

You could just use a power bank. Be sure it can give more than 2A. I use RAVpower powerbanks of 26800mA. Those are very stable but expensive. Some cheaper ones have bad power regulators in them. So test them well.
What batterys are you trying to use? How much current can they give?

Cheers

A 8V using a battery pack of 6 2800amp each(in futur a car battry like lipo battery or other) or i need to get a 5V phone battery or something like that.
maybe 50$ CAD. I am in a robotic club so we have much stuff.

3 minutes ago, jkljkl1197 said:

A 8V using a battery pack of 2800amp each(in futur a car battry like lipo battery or other) or i need to get a 5V phone battery or something like that.
maybe 50$ CAD. I am in a robotic club so we have much stuff.

Yes, use something like this.
https://www.ravpower.com/26800mah-external-battery-charger-iSmart2.0-black.html

You can charge it in your car with a car-phone charger. It lasts for 10 hours. An has voltage regulation installed.
Looks like too much hassle to make it yourself when it's easy to buy it.
Greetings

you use this powerbank with tinkerboard?

i going to try with my other powerbank if it's work before but i think for a robot it's better to get a little battery and not a big one.
(i want to power it with a battrery for a teleconference robot)

4 minutes ago, jkljkl1197 said:

you use this powerbank with tinkerboard?

I have used it with the Tinker Board. But I more often use it with my Odroid C2. I've got a self made laptop with that battery, a 7inch 1024*600 display and a Rii i8 keyboard. Very handy. This battery can power 2 sbc's and the screen at the same time.
The Tinker Board does use more power, so you could choose the other 22000mAh type. That one can give 2.4A per port and 5.8A overal.

Two 4V 2.6AH batteries in series, connected the input of the 4015. Output goes to GPIO, use at least two ground and two hot pins.  Before connecting set the 4015 to output 5.1V with a 1 ohm, 10 watt resistor across the output terminals. If you have a big enough resistor (20w at least), use 0.47-0.5 to simulate a 2 amp current draw. You can get 2+ hours out of this at full load, more at reduced draw. **Edit - this math is wrong, was corrected few posts below***

Remove your dummy load and hook up the Asus. I use a powerbank with a Little Pi Zero as a portable media player and headphone amp (not using Armbian for this). Powerbanks are usually quite variable in quality, so you might get a lemon. The 4015 is at least reliable.

Edited by Sangram
Errata

If you truly want to do it yourself with battery's. Then don't forget to use a good loadcircuit. Or your guaranteed burn your car down.

I still advice to use a good power bank, it's got a loadcircuit and power management.
But do as you wish, but be safe.

I get it work with my xl4015 and 6 battery in pack, it's work well now. I have try to banchmark the cpu and all is fine no drop. But i need a real battery like we use in toy cars (performance battery) because it's not working when i put my motors on the same battery pack and create a drop. Thx guy's

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Sangram said:

set the 4015 to output 5.1V with a 1 ohm, 10 watt resistor across the output terminals. If you have a big enough resistor (20w at least), use 0.47-0.5 to simulate a 2 amp current draw.

5V with a 1R load is 5A, 25W

5V with a 0.5R loan is 10A and 50W

For a 2A load on 5.1V, the calculation is 5.1/2 = 2.55 ohms

Now I understand, I thought you wanted to use your Tinker in your car. Cool what you've done, for that I also use a power bank. Here a video of me building a simple robot with an Arduino. Keep up the good work. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am using webrtc (with peerjs) so I control my robot remotly and i see the his cam and he see my cam(same for the mic) it's a telecomunication project, controled with a xbox gamepad.
the goal it's to control the robot in all our school wifi network. But the routeur wifi don't communicate to each others(VLAN... can't do a server on the wifi too) so i need to add a server outside the ip network(i using a dmz server farder in the topologie network so it's accesible from all routeurs). Just to create a little server where two client can contact each other and get a link between them (the camera, mic and data don't pass tought the dmz server the server just init the connection between two client). So the tinkerboard is just a client waiting to be contact by a other client using the same server. After a client demand to get a connection with a other client they contact earch other and a get a p2p connection between them. I think later i going to add opencv and other stuff on it.

the xl4015 have a amp regulator(potentiometer 2) so i can limit the amp output of it right? I am using 4 L293D because just 2 over heating so add a other l293d over a other l293d and it's heating much less.
sorry but i never use a resistor in my life, because i don't understand well how it's work. I know it can lower voltage but it's heating much. I use a 20AWG micro usb so i don't use gpio to power it. It's more safer then use gpio when you don't understand electricity that much.

and if you want to know what are these Wheels, it's "Mecanum Wheels".

@NicoD no probleme about the "misunderstanding" i just didn't explain it before :P

Hi again. I use this for motor controller.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-DC-motor-drive-module-reversing-PWM-speed-dual-H-bridge-stepper-motor-Mini-victory-L298N/32733219776.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.wQdo9D

It's the same pricipe as the l293d but they can handle a bit more power and they don't overheat that easily. Also there is an overheating protection.

You could use a heatsink on the L293D's, normally they dissipate heat via the solder joints, but you've breadboarded it so it can't do that.

Are you going to solder the L293d to a circuit board afterwards?

Don't be aftraid to use resistors. They are safe to use, but you need big enough resistors if you put thru a lot of energy. Christof explained a bit.

Watch a youtube video about it. There's two things you need to understand, Ohm(resistance) and Watt(power).
It might look confusing in the beginning, but you'll be happy to know.

Good luck. I love it seeing people do something like that.

17 hours ago, chrisf said:

5V with a 1R load is 5A, 25W

5V with a 0.5R loan is 10A and 50W

For a 2A load on 5.1V, the calculation is 5.1/2 = 2.55 ohms

That'll teach me to do math after a dose of Norval - of course you're right.