Banana Pi M2 Zero with fake/unofficial Armbian based image

ArchiMark

Hi,

New to this forum. Hope someone can please assist.

I recently purchased a tiny 5" display UMPC device.

See instagram/puterpi for photos. There's also YouTube video of it in action by maker too.

I installed Armbian image:

http://forum.banana-pi.org/t/bpi-m2-zero-new-image-2017-12-04-armbian-5-36-m2-zero-ubuntu-xenial-next-4-14-3-desktop-preview-buildbybpi/4325

Overall, works great. However, I periodically get the following error message at boot up in console and device will not boot up. Only fix I have now is to res-install image file.

missing environment variable: boot file

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000

Not ethernet found.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0000

Not ethernet found.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/000

Not ethernet found.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00

Not ethernet found.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0

Not ethernet found.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-sunxi

Not ethernet found.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm

Not ethernet found.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default

Not ethernet found.

Config file not found

starting USB...

No controllers found

No ethernet found.

No ethernet found.

=>

The error message is obviously about ethernet coonection. I use a USB hub with ethernet port to get ethernet connection. It has worked OK.

Error has occurred only after some restarts. Have not figured why it occurs after some shutdowns and then restarts. But when it occurs, i have not been able to bypass error and continue to boot up.

Thank you for any advice.

Mark

1 hour ago, ArchiMark said:

The error message is obviously

This means boot process is somehow and sometimes broken due to wrong u-boot settings and/or hardware issue ... and fails to network boot and since there is no network drivers nor any configurations it ends like this. We don't support this board and this Armbian build is not ours

1 hour ago, ArchiMark said:

New to this forum. Hope someone can please assist.

I installed Armbian image:

Overall, works great. However, I periodically get the following error message at boot up in console and device will not boot up. Only fix I have now is to res-install image file.

Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000
Not ethernet found.

The error message is obviously about ethernet coonection. I use a USB hub with ethernet port to get ethernet connection. It has worked OK.

Error has occurred only after some restarts. Have not figured why it occurs after some shutdowns and then restarts.

But when it occurs, i have not been able to bypass error and continue to boot up.

Thank you for any advice.

Hi Mark,

the error-message will only tell you that the Banana Pi couldnt find your boot uSDCard and it do try to boot from Ethernet, but the BPi Zero hasnt a Ethernet Port.

So - how you also did find out - you have to reflash the card....

Now there are many options for this error... bad or old card or a bad power-supply or a power-outage while using the dveice -> bad filesystem = no boot

Info for PXE (Network) Boot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

10 hours ago, guidol said:

the error-message will only tell you that the Banana Pi couldnt find your boot uSDCard

The error message is an u-boot message and u-boot has been read from SD card. So most probably it's SD card corruption. Armbian instructions are pretty clear how to deal with images and SD cards (CHECKING download integrity -- not possible with fake images -- and TESTING them in case errors occur): https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-check-download-authenticity

Thank you, Guidol and tkaiser, for your input. helpful and appreciated.

Understand your points and about this being 'fake Armbian' image.

in meantime, I re-flashed card and bought a AC adapter for my usb and ethernet hub. Hopefully, this will help avoid future issues like I had.