Do you use bootloader u-boot from the image Armbian for TV box?

balbes150

Do you use bootloader u-boot from the image Armbian ?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. This survey is designed to find out who some of the users are using the version of the bootloader u-boot, which is part of the images Armbian for TV boxes.

• Yes, The armbian u-boot built-in image used. (The native u-boot in the internal memory is deleted).
    • No, The armbian u-boot built-in image is not used. (To start Armbian uses the regular u-boot (which is part of the firmware) + universal multiboot).

When building An armbian image, it takes a lot of time to create u-boot and I want to understand how it is necessary to include u-boot in the image immediately. If most people don't use it, I'll disable copying it to the image when I build it. For those who will need the image with the embedded u-boot, it is possible to easily add the right version of u-boot into the existing image.

Good evening Balbes150,

Can you explain to me what u-boot is for I've seen a lot of posts on it without really understanding its usefulness?

I can tell you how I use Armbian:
1. I first test the image on the SD card.
2. Once it is functional, I write this image on the eMMC to stop working on the SD card.

In my case it's really to make the TV Box a mini PC.

14 hours ago, Nofan Tasi said:

I may have misunderstood.

I flashed your multiboot u-boot so do I need to vote 2?

In this survey discussed the use of u-boot that goes into the composition of the image Armbian, which is recorded on the SD card. When i'm create an Armbian image, the build system automatically adds the u-boot image. This u-boot (from the SD card) is used to start the system only when there is no u-boot loader in the TV box itself or it is corrupted. In all other cases, u-boot is not used on the SD card. There are several variants of u-boot for different platforms (s905 s905x s912). On the SD card when building the image (in the image Armbian)  can only include one option. To use other options, you need to write it manually (replace the current one). Now, when i'm  create an image, it gets a variant of u-boot for s912. This option can only work on models with s912. Therefore, I want to exclude from the u-boot image. If the user needs (when he has a serious problem with his TV box, when the regular u-boot does not work from the internal memory), he will be able to download the desired option (just for his platform) and write it to the SD card.

14 hours ago, DDA said:

I can tell you how I use Armbian:
1. I first test the image on the SD card.
2. Once it is functional, I write this image on the eMMC to stop working on the SD card.

In this embodiment, is used a regular u-boot from internal memory. This means your answer to question 2.