NetBIOS broadcast timeout

phelum

Hi,

I'm using NetBIOS names when using ssh to access other CTs on my local network.  Most of the CTs and other hosts are running Wheezy.  Now I have a CT running Stretch and it's very difficult to access this host using 'ssh <stretch host name>' because it's not responding to the broadcas from the calling host.  If I repeat the request (and broadcast for the name) multiple times then sooner or later the Stretch CT will respond in time.

The timeout on the host doing the broadcast seems very short.  Does anybody know where this timeout is specified and how to change it ?

Thanks,

Steven

Hi,

DNS would be difficult because the hosts on this local network have dynamic addresses.  This is why nmbd (part of the Samba suite) is good and it works fine on hosts running wheezy or jessie (or Windows).  There is an option called "socket options" in smb.conf and I've tried setting SO_RTIMEO (receive timeout) but it doesn't have any effect.  The host running stretch can use ssh <other host name> to connect to any other host but other hosts find it very difficult to use ssh <stretch host name> to connect to the stretch host.  I'll try running wireshark to see if the stretch host is getting the broadcast and if it is replying.  As I said, the timeout seems very short.

Cheers,

Steven