aplay -l : no soundcards found

lionz

Hello,

I am using the Armbian_5.38_Orangepizero_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.14 image on an OPi zero (H2+ chip).

I tried to get "some sound" out of the LINEOUTL and right pins at the expansion port. However, alsa executables like aplay report that there is no sound card. (see below)

I testet also with a non-root user (which is in the audio group).

My initial guess was that there must some additioanl kernel modules loaded. As I understand, however, the lsmod output, (2) below, should be ok.

What it is thing to do to see soundcard(s), e.g. as /dev/dsp? Do I need to set files such as ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf as a prerequisite (if so what contents) or is this optional and something else is missing?

---------------------------

(1)

root@orangepizero:~# aplay test.wav
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
aplay: main:788: audio open error: No such device
root@orangepizero:~# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found...

(2)

root@orangepizero:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sun8i_codec_analog     24576  0
snd_soc_core          118784  3 sun8i_codec_analog,snd_soc_simple_card_utils,snd_soc_simple_card
snd_pcm_dmaengine      16384  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                65536  2 snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_core
snd_timer              24576  1 snd_pcm
snd                    45056  3 snd_timer,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm
soundcore              16384  1 snd

(3)

ls /lib/modules/4.14.18-sunxi/kernel/sound/soc/*

(4)
snd_soc_simple_card    16384  0
snd_soc_simple_card_utils    16384  1 snd_soc_simple_card

EDIT:

Note 1:  Even though I tried all this while a new kernel 4.14.18 was in place, it did not work either with 4.14.14 as far as I recall.

Edited by lionz
added detail

5 hours ago, lionz said:

What it is thing to do to see soundcard(s), e.g. as /dev/dsp? Do I need to set files such as ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf as a prerequisite (if so what contents) or is this optional and something else is missing?

(2)

Module                  Size  Used by
sun8i_codec_analog     24576  0
snd_soc_core          118784  3 sun8i_codec_analog,snd_soc_simple_card_utils,snd_soc_simple_card

because codec_analog is already loaded as module I asume, that you did enable the analog_codec as kernel overlay by the command "armbian-config"?

armbian-config ==> System ==> Hardware ==> Tick "analog-codec" ==> Save ==>  more times Cancel (to get out of armbian-config)  ==> reboot

analog_codec.jpg