Rock64 - Wireless not comming up

darkdrgn2k

The wireless interfaces are not coming up

[   16.959456] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
[   16.969238] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[   16.971635] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[   16.971650] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
[   41.751941] rk_gmac-dwmac ff540000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off
[   41.751976] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

seems im missing allot of wireless drivers

including rt2800usb and  ath9k_htc

root@aaaa:/lib/modules/4.16.0-rc6-rk3328/kernel/drivers/net/wireless# find .
./ti
./ti/wlcore
./ti/wlcore/wlcore.ko
./ti/wlcore/wlcore_sdio.ko
./ti/wl18xx
./ti/wl18xx/wl18xx.ko
./rtl8814au
./rtl8814au/8814au.ko
./broadcom
./broadcom/brcm80211
./broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac
./broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/brcmfmac.ko
./broadcom/brcm80211/brcmutil
./broadcom/brcm80211/brcmutil/brcmutil.ko
./rtl8812au
./rtl8812au/8812au.ko

34 minutes ago, berturion said:

Hello Igor, when you say "a modern kernel", you mean a kernel near the version of the mainline one ?

Is there a corresponding git repo to see the progress of it ?

We usually work with/have two kernels. Stock legacy, currently mostly 4.4.y.  and mainline, usually latest LTS or stable, 4.14.y/4.18.y at the time. Legacy is labeled "default", while modern "next" ... or "dev" when attached to the master kernel branch.

Repositories per kernel family are defined here: https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/config/sources ... for this particular board family we use the repository from Ayufan which seems to be in the best shape. Another alternative would be kernel.org + a bunch of patches. 

11 hours ago, Igor said:

We usually work with/have two kernels. Stock legacy, currently mostly 4.4.y.  and mainline, usually latest LTS or stable, 4.14.y/4.18.y at the time. Legacy is labeled "default", while modern "next" ... or "dev" when attached to the master kernel branch.

Repositories per kernel family are defined here: https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/config/sources ... for this particular board family we use the repository from Ayufan which seems to be in the best shape. Another alternative would be kernel.org + a bunch of patches. 

Ok thanks.

For now I am on Arch Arm with the mainline kernel. But I am not very satisfied with its stability. My system hangs randomly. I suspect a bad support of the USB stuff. I am thinking of migrating to Armbian, I really liked it on my old Cubieboard2. My rootfs is on a partition of a self powered external disk connected to the USB 3.0 port. I also have another external disk in a 2.0 port (powered by the host) that is mounted when executing cron backup tasks. Do you think Armbian with aayfan kernel is a more stable ?

What is the probability for the mainline kernel to have a good support for this board ?

(Sorry to be a little out of the subject of this thread)