Armbian Cubietruck Image via QEMU on a x64 Linux

TanarRi

Hi,

I have search in the internet a long time but can't get an answer for:

Can I start a Armbian Cubietruck Image on my Ubuntu-Linux (x64) with QEMU?

What I tested:

a) I downloaded "Debian Server Mainline" (Kernel 4.14) from https://www.armbian.com/cubietruck/

b ) Mounted   the Image and extracted "vmlinuz-4.14.14-sunxi" and "initrd.img-4.14.14-sunxi"

c) Try to start the Armbian Image on my x64 Linux with:

qemu-system-arm -m 1024M -M vexpress-a9 -kernel ./vmlinuz-4.14.14-sunxi -initrd ./initrd.img-4.14.14-sunxi  -append "root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootfstype=ext4 cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1  enforcing=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 loglevel=8" -sd Armbian_5.38_Cubietruck_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.14_CT.img

d) All I get is a black qemu window. Nothing happens

...I have tried several variants of the qemu command. But perhaps I have a general error...

Greetings

tanarri

Edited by chwe
moved, since not related to A20 hardware.

On 26.04.2018 at 12:57 AM, TanarRi said:

Mounted   the Image and extracted "vmlinuz-4.14.14-sunxi" and "initrd.img-4.14.14-sunxi"

But perhaps I have a general error...

This kernel (which is targeting Allwinner devices and requiring a valid DTB to work) will not boot on QEMU which is emulating a Vexpress machine. You will need to find or build a kernel which could be executed by QEMU and then you will be able to boot the rootfs, though obviously QEMU will not emulate any devices specific to Allwinner A20.

You will also need to adjust or remove some kernel arguments (root, console, ...) for QEMU.