HX1230 LCD (96x68 monochrome)

Larry Bank

I just received a couple of these inexpensive LCD displays ($1.82 each shipped). They are very low power and look good. I've got them working on Arduino and will now be converting the code to Linux. If anyone is interested in these, let me know. I'll edit this post to add the github link when it's ready.

20180430_211544.jpg

Yes, I got them on AliExpress. The vendor took them down after I bought them, but said he is re-organizing his store and will have it ready on May 5th (not sure if that means he'll re-list the product).

I've written a Linux and Arduino library to control it:

https://github.com/bitbank2/hx1230

The challenge with this display is that the PCB/controller is configured only for a 3-wire SPI interface and doesn't work with standard SPI. I wrote code to "bit-bang" the SPI interface for both Linux and Arduino. The nice thing about it is that for pin-limited chips like the ATtiny85, you can control this with 3 pins.

I build small test boxes for my company's products, sometimes for the end customer for field debugging. Visibility in sunlight is important, and the newer devices have complex enough output that graphical representation is handy to have. For the customer/field tech ones I try to keep the cost minimal, as they get destroyed a lot or handed out for free. I usually use Cypress PSoC controllers for the testers, but that's becoming less practical as well, so a move to a NanoPi duo or core may be in the future. (10 years ago the "debugger" only had to be a battery and LED...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

I build small test boxes for my company's products, sometimes for the end customer for field debugging. Visibility in sunlight is important, and the newer devices have complex enough output that graphical representation is handy to have. For the customer/field tech ones I try to keep the cost minimal, as they get destroyed a lot or handed out for free. I usually use Cypress PSoC controllers for the testers, but that's becoming less practical as well, so a move to a NanoPi duo or core may be in the future. (10 years ago the "debugger" only had to be a battery and LED... emoji38.png

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing.