Flash image issue

22u2

Hi,

I wanna try the armbian for banana pi M2 but when i flash the image in the microSd card with Rufus (i'm on windows 10) the pi does not boot correctly, i.e restarting every 10 seconds. Afterwards the card is not easy to reformat, not accessible on windows.

In Rufus I do (i tried with 2 different cards):

- choose the .raw file

- then the combobox is set to DD image

- finally i click on start

So is there something I totally miss?

Thx

I wanna try the armbian for banana pi M2 but when i flash the image in the microSd card with Rufus (i'm on windows 10) the pi does not boot correctly, i.e restarting every 10 seconds. Afterwards the card is not easy to reformat, not accessible on windows.

In Rufus I do (i tried with 2 different cards):

If it's restarting it means kernel crashes but it would be nice to find out why it does. To get more information on this you will need to mount this image on some Linux machine, edit /boot/boot.cmd and set loglevel to 8 ... than you need to recompile boot.cmd to boot.scr by using u-boot tools. If you have a serial console, change console to ttyS0,115200 and paste the boot log here. Than we might be able to tell more about the problem.

And yes, do some easy parts first: use different SD card, write it in Windows 7, on Linux, ...

I have similar problem. I cannot make my M2 boot any of Armbian images. I've tried lot of images, but worked only Raspbian and Bananian from this download page http://bananapi.com/index.php/download?layout=edit&id=75

Now i'm running Bananian, but without GPIO, Wi-Fi and lot of other stuff support, as small web-server.

Unfortunately, i don't have HDMI monitor for output, but i have an USB to serial adapter.

Igor, i'd like to provide you as much information, as i can, to solve this problem and help you develop Armbian. Please, e-mail me at mailz3000@gmail.com .

Also, looks like my M2 is trying to boot via TFTP. I'm attaching .pcap file, but i haven't installed DHCP server on my notebook yet to test it.

https://dropmefiles.com/WjH23

Bananian from this download page http://bananapi.com/index.php/download?layout=edit&id=75

This is not Bananian but a crappy rip-off made by SinoVoip. They combined their crappy 3.3.0 kernel with a Bananian rootfs and advertise this as "Bananian 1.0". If you want to run Bananian then try Bananian: https://www.bananian.org/download#bananian_linux_for_banana_pi_m2

And if that works, Armbian will also work. Ensure that you power the M2 correctly (not through Micro USB but the barrel plug) and test your SD card first: http://www.armbian.com/documentation/ (Make sure you use good & reliable SD card. If you encounter boot troubles, check them with F3 or H2testw)!

tkaiser, thanks for your reply. Yes, i have 5V2A adapter with barrel plug. I've checked my SD card with H2testw without any errors (as i said before, sinovoip's images boot fine).

Bananian from original website seems booting and taking DHCP lease, but it doesn't announce it's hostname, and i cannot connect via SSH.

There are green LED, marked D4 and yellow LED of Ethernet port turned on.

tcpdump from my router looks like:

21:57:14.667746 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 02:44:09:01:79:b6 (oui Unknown), length 300
21:57:14.670185 IP TL-WR740N_OW.lan.bootps > 192.168.0.238.bootpc: BOOTP/DHCP, Reply, length 300
21:57:14.692926 ARP, Request who-has TL-WR740N_OW.lan tell 192.168.0.238, length 46
21:57:14.693065 ARP, Reply TL-WR740N_OW.lan is-at a0:f3:c1:9b:a4:8b (oui Unknown), length 28
21:57:14.693118 IP 192.168.0.238.2478 > TL-WR740N_OW.lan.tftp: 44 RRQ "C0A800EE.img" octet timeout 5 blksize 1468
21:57:14.693359 IP TL-WR740N_OW.lan > 192.168.0.238: ICMP TL-WR740N_OW.lan udp port tftp unreachable, length 80

Maybe i could setup TFTP and give it ".img" it wants, or i need to ask Bananian developers about this trouble?

I've noticed, that TTL didn't worked with every image i tried. May this be hardware issue?

i need to ask Bananian developers about this trouble? [...] I've noticed, that TTL didn't worked with every image i tried. May this be hardware issue?

Sure, you can ask Nico if you want. But what should he tell you? Regarding TTL: Whether you get something depends on both u-boot and kernel settings of the image in question. You should see at least something in the early boot process but afterwards it might be possible the all output is redirected to screen and not console.

Sorry, I'm unable to help. I purchased the M2 June last year, tried a few things, had to realise how crappy support/software from the vendor are and then decided to donate the board to a linux-sunxi dev who then added u-boot/dts stuff for the M2 upstream. The vendor (SinoVoip/Foxconn) used this for marketing purposes but did NOT adopt correct device tree settings for their own crappy OS images. In other words: If you bought anything from 'Team BPi' you already lost ;)

But please search the forums: Using Armbian with vanilla kernel works flawlessly on the M2 normally...

tkaiser, oh wait, i was connecting TTL wrong :D

I had to connect TX to RX and RX to TX, but connected TX-TX and RX-RX.

So, i have stuck on

** Can't read partition table on 0:0 **
** Invalid partition 1 **

for armbian and bananian distros. I'll try with another SD card then and report.

Sorry for wasting your time anyway

So, i've tried another SD card - Silicon Power, 8GB class 4, and successfully booted, configured Ethernet, Wi-Fi and GPIO (at least, WiringPi test is running OK). Previously used Kingston 16GB card.

Thanks to armbian, bananian and linux-sunxi communities for their work, that sinovoip had to do.