High temperature Orange Pi Zero Plus2 H3

peter12

Hello, 

I installed ARMBIAN 5.38 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.14-sunxi on H3 OpiZeroPlus2 board and temperature is 60C (just after boot, nothing is running, CPU 0.5%)

Is it normal?

P.S. I saw overheating problem on H2+ OPi boards, but no idea if H3 also suffers from this.

12 minutes ago, Stéphane Magat said:

This is a known problem, Armbian displays a false temperature value for the orange Pi Zero.

Well maybe not false temperature because I made thumb test and I was not able to keep my finger on CPU. So temperature must be really high.

31 minutes ago, peter12 said:

Well maybe not false temperature because I made thumb test and I was not able to keep my finger on CPU. So temperature must be really high.

OPZ H2+ (v1.4) is a hot board. :)
I got 68-72°C running pihole and motioneye, with passive heatsink and plastic case (without stability problems, for 1 year).

With mainline kernel 4.14.yy frequency scaling isn't perfect... full cpufreq implementation is espected for 4.18.yy

did you check if DVFS is working? It's sometimes broken on mainline and the CPU is clocked the whole time at high frequencies..  Did someone ever checked if Q5 is populated on this board? Otherwise issues similar to:

might be a problem too. 

Edit:

OPZ H2+ (v1.4) is a hot board. 

It's about the Zero Plus2 H3 not the 'original zero'..

52 minutes ago, chwe said:

It's about the Zero Plus2 H3 not the 'original zero'..

Ops... :)
Zero plus 2 is the H5 version? CPUFreq is in WIP stage also for the H5... all H boards have problem scaling down in idle with kernel 4.14.

9 minutes ago, Moklev said:

Zero plus 2 is the H5 version?

there's a H5 and H3 version and since Xunlongs naming is IMO completely random which leads to confusion.. :D I think he has the H3 version of the Zero plus 2, I know that q5 isn't populated on the H5 version... But I don't know if somebody ever checked if this also counts for the H3 version of this board... 

7 hours ago, chwe said:

there's a H5 and H3 version and since Xunlongs naming is IMO completely random which leads to confusion.. :D I think he has the H3 version of the Zero plus 2, I know that q5 isn't populated on the H5 version... But I don't know if somebody ever checked if this also counts for the H3 version of this board... 

Yes, I have H3 board. 

I checked Q5 and it is there. 

By the way with ARMBIAN 5.35 user-built Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 3.4.113-sun8i is temperature much lower on H3.

22 hours ago, Stéphane Magat said:

thanks, but I think it is for H2 board and especially 1.4 version. 

Is it the same valid for H3? I don't think so because I have H2, H2 1.4 and H3. Sometimes it is even not the same for all 1.4 pieces.

25 minutes ago, peter12 said:

Sometimes it is even not the same for all 1.4 pieces.

if you look here: 

those 'temperatures' might change depending on voltage arriving at 'GPIO/AVCC/RTC '... Xunlong decided to save a few cents which ends in the annoying situation that the whole temperature readout on this board is IMO bogus. I don't know if someone ever had a deeper look how this 'reverence voltage' is delivered on various H2+/H3 boards (seems to be of minor interest for the H2+/H3 owners) and how this is affected by different PSUs (it's on my  "I'll do it later" list - as a bunch of other 'projects'). 

39 minutes ago, peter12 said:

Is it the same valid for H3?

You may check (with a multimeter) if the CPU is feed with 1.3V the whole time (which may generate 'additional heat') and if your board runs at max cpu freq. the whole time (I've in mind that one of my H3 boards ran the whole time at 1200MHz with mainline in the past. Didn't check if this is still true or it was only a nightly issue which is solved in the meantime - I don't spend much attention to my H3 boards at the moment :P).

The frequency scaling seems to be working a bit better on OrangePI zeroplus2 H3 / H5 and NanoPi now (kernel 4.14.39).

We discovered however that the frequency scaling severely impacts the SPI communication, resulting in SPI failures during the frequency change. It could be that SPI communication fails because it uses the same clock as the CPU.

In certain cases you may want to pre-set the frequency to a conservative fixed frequency for better reliability of especially SPI communication ( sudo cpufreq-set -f 816MHz) and add a heat-sink.

Does anyone know how to underclock RAM?

Dennboy, I noticed that cpufreq-set doesn't persist that max frequency across reboots, so for CPU underclocking, I would recommend this on mainline kernels

user@orangepizero:~$ sudo nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils 

# WARNING: this file will be replaced on board support package (linux-root-...) upgrade 
ENABLE=true 
MIN_SPEED=240000 
# MAX_SPEED=1200000 
MAX_SPEED=816000 
# Run at lowest
# GOVERNOR=powersave
# Dynamic, jump to max
# GOVERNOR=ondemand
# Dynamic, slowly scale up
GOVERNOR=conservative 

user@orangepizero:~$  sudo /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils restart

Hi user283746,

Thanks for your suggestion, it could indeed be better to change the defaults, but then with the userspace governor. I initially placed the my cpufreq command in /etc/rc.local to make it persistent.

cpufreq-info tells me the available frequencies and governers (e.g. on H5):

available frequency steps: 408 MHz, 648 MHz, 816 MHz, 912 MHz, 960 MHz, 1.01 GHz, 1.06 GHz, 1.10 GHz, 1.15 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, powersave, ondemand, performance, schedutil

I have no clue how to underclock RAM, didn't find hints in the devicetree or boot commands.