SPDIF not working due to a bug in kernel 4.16.8, after Cubox-i4Pro Armbian Ubuntu upgraded from 5.38 to 5.44

chun.de.lac

Question

Hello everyone,

just wanted to let you know, upgrade from Armbian Ubuntu 5.38 to 5.44 caused problems on my Cubox-i4Pro.

- Armbian Ubuntu 5.38 headless (no display connected to Cubox-i) worked perfectly, there were no issues with anything.

- Upgraded Armbian Ubuntu 5.38 to 5.44 (apt-get) and rebooted

- After reboot, no audio was sent to my audio amplifier (through Toslink optical cable) by Shairport-Sync 3.1.7 (AirPlay emulator). Airplay was visible on my iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) and audio was streamed from iOS to AirPlay, but no audio was sent by Cubox-i to the optical connection to my audio amplifier.

- Removed the Shairport package using dpkg -r

- Rebooted Cubox-i using command reboot, but Cubox-i not booting anymore, SSH connection not possible anymore, red LED on Cubox-i is off (I think the LED was off also on Armbian ver. 5.38)

- Unplugged the power cable, waited a minute, restored power, Cubox-i not booting, no SSH

I'll restore the system ver. 5.38 from my backup image.

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Igor said:

On which kernel? If I understand correctly ... Cubox booted to new system fine, only audio was missing?

First reboot after packages were upgraded to 5.44, Cubox-i booted, but no audio. After second reboot, Cubox-i did not boot anymore (no SSH).

I've just restored Armbian Ubuntu 5.38 from my backup image.

Upgraded only the package "linux-image-next-cubox 5.44", (armhf Linux kernel, version 4.16.8-cubox),  no other packages upgraded.

Cubox-i booted, but no audio on optical.

Just let me know if you need me to test anything else.

Understand. But what did you run before, exactly which kernel? I know that we have 4.16.8 now. Can you run armbianmonitor -u to see logs of the working system.

I can see in the log:

Kernel 4.14.14:

[ 1.775033] imx-spdif sound-spdif: snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> 2004000.spdif mapping ok

Kernel 4.16.8:

[ 1.764797] imx-spdif sound-spdif: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered

[ 1.764810] imx-spdif sound-spdif: snd_soc_register_card failed: -517

O.K. I can only put this to the known bug list for now. Most likely settings got messed up. Better just use 4.14.y until this is fixed - you can run the latest image but only downgrade kernel. If you have time and knowhow to investigate, here are working sources for reference http://apt.armbian.com/pool/main/l/linux-source-4.14.14-next-cubox/ 

Hello Igor,

after my Cubox-i was upgraded from Armbian 5.60 to 5.70 today, SPDIF audio output stopped working.

Report:

http://ix.io/1yjz

Armbian 5.70:

Operating system     Ubuntu Linux 18.04.1

Kernel and CPU     Linux 4.19.14-cubox on armv7l

SPDIF audio output used to work properly with Armbian 5.60 (kernel 4.14.70)

Please, let me know if I can be of any further help.

Thank you!