3G modem start up @ boot

PaulofOz

I am trying to understand and construct a script that will run my 3g usb modem at startup. I have great difficulty in understanding the syntax. I am using a PI PC+ with Ubuntu Xenial. If I type the following at the command prompt: 

sakis3g --sudo connect --sudo USBINTERFACE="3" --sudo APN="telstra.internet"

My modem connects to the internet. Sakis3g is located in /home/opi/usr/local/bin/sakis3g. Can someone offer guidance or an example that would execute the above command at startup please?

1.) So I have sakis3g installed

2.)

So I created a file : sudo nano /etc/sakis3g.conf  with the following info:

USBINTERFACE="3"

APN="telstra.internet"

MODEM="19d2:0031"

3.) I created an autconnectnet script - sudo nano /etc/init.d/autoconnectnet with the following:

#***************************************************

#! /bin/sh

# /etc/init.d/autoconnectnet

### BEGIN INIT INFO

# Provides:          noip

# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog

# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs $syslog

# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5

# Default-Stop:      0 1 6

# Short-Description: Simple script to start a program at boot

# Description:       A simple script from www.stuffaboutcode.com which will start / stop a program a boot / shutdown.

### END INIT INFO

case "$1" in

start)

sleep 10

echo "connecting via sakis3g"

# run application you want to start

/usr/local/bin/sakis3g --sudo  "connect"

;;

stop)

echo "dissconnecting via sakis3g"

# kill application you want to stop

/usr/local/bin/sakis3g --sudo  "disconnect"

;;

*)

echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/autoconnectnet {start|stop}"

exit 1

;;

esac

exit 0

#*********************************************************

If I type: sudo /etc/init.d/autoconnectnet start or sudo /etc/init.d/autoconnectnet stop it starts and stops no problems.

4.) Now, when I switch the power off and back on, this .conf file seems to get corrupted or modified. The following is displayed when try to go back to this entry - sudo nano /etc/sakis3g.conf  and the editor is blank. 

Error reading lock file /etc/.sakis3g.conf.swp: Not enough data read 

What am I doing wrong? I want the modem to start after powering on.

43 minutes ago, PaulofOz said:

:-) sorta right under my nose. I have cloned Armbian/config to my OPi. I went into /config folder and chmod +x the files but I cannot get the Debian-config menu system to show.

You can set it from a menu if you have exactly this Huawei 909 modem. I took the script from @Stanislav Sinyagin https://txlab.wordpress.com/ who is dealing more with those 3G/4G modems. 

Just try to make it up/down the same way.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:07 PM, Igor said:

My OS crashed and seemed to no longer load beyond a certain point. So, I have reinstalled the .img along with PIAWARE. All is good. I have cloned the latest Armbian configuration and install utility but now I am lost? Is this meant to run from entering on the command line sudo delian-config .

Sudo armbian-config takes me to the old configuration utility that does not contain the LTE modem option.

2 hours ago, PaulofOz said:

Sudo armbian-config takes me to the old configuration utility that does not contain the LTE modem option.

This functionality is not yet arrived into the armbian-config stable package. Scripts are specifically designed for a modem which I have around (armbian-config will show you options to connect only if you have one of supported), for others init scripts, you need to look at @Stanislav Sinyagin blog. I sent you this link to peek into the code and DIY.