RK3288 Media Script (TinkerBoard)

JMCC

48 minutes ago, naseeb said:

@JMCC Here you go

Oh, I'm sorry, I'm on the go, answering from my phone. I meant "armbianmonitor -u"

That uploads a set of system diagnoses to a pastebin, so I can have more info on your system.

Again, excuse me for the mistake.

2 hours ago, naseeb said:

That output seems incomplete, something went wrong. In any case, make sure the output of 'uname -r' shows that you are using the Default (4.4.y) version of the kernel. Or maybe it is better to just wait two or three weeks, and I'll try to release the Bionic version by then.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:48 PM, JMCC said:

Yes, it's on the TO-DO list. Updated RK3288 first, then RK3399, and then RK3328. I'm a little busy ATM with other affairs, but hopefully will be able to get into this in a couple weeks.

EDIT: @jock In the meantime, if you write a step-by-step for the gl4es library, or post a link to some guide that is already written, I can also include it in the script. Right now, the only thing I know about that lib is that it exists, no idea how it works.

Thanks for the insights. I hope we can make it work on armbian at some point. I know ayufan (https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases/tag/0.7.9) bundles it on his builds but not sure how.

15 minutes ago, x86demon said:

@JMCC do you have any estimates for Bionic? I'm choosing which disro to install

I left it halfway done, before interrupting it for some urgent stuff. I will be done with that stuff by tomorrow, after that if everything goes well could be ready in about a week.

8 minutes ago, Sergei Steshenko said:

A childish question. For other boards and very legacy kernels one had to allocate memory for graphical stuff from command line. Without it there was no HW acceleration.

Is commend line memory allocation for RK3288 needed ?

Nope, mali binaries take care of everything.

BTW, Bionic version of the script is done, I'm just brushing up the documentation.

Finally, the version 2.0 for Armbian Bionic is out! Check the OP for documentation and download link.

CHANGELOG:

• Updated all necessary packages to work with Ubuntu Bionic
  • Updated versions of MPV and Kodi
  • Added the GL4ES wrapper, to provide OpenGL support (thanks @jock for the tips).
    • In order to use it, you must launch your app from command line using the wrapper "glrun"

RELEASE NOTES:

• I'm not sure whether the Widevine library is still working with newer versions of Chrome, and I don't have access to Netflix anymore to test it. Some feedback on this point is welcome.
  • I'm still including the old cgminer as OpenCL example. If you want to try more recent algorithms and experiment with GPU mining just for fun, I recommend you to have a look to this sgminer for from the ODROID community (it works also with RK3288): https://github.com/hominoids/sgminer-arm
    • As I said, just for learning, curiosity or fun. Trying to get money with a Tinkerboard is a waste of time. Plus, I think the whole crypto-mining idea is absurd, basing the value of a currency on wasting as much electricity as possible :wacko:
  • Remember you need a default (4.4.y) kernel for HW video acceleration to work. It is not yet implemented in mainline (4.14.y).

Bionic image with no updates, but added script for Netflix use.... With Chromium. vs. 68.0.3440.106, can confirm Netflix does not work.

Netflix gets to point to start the show, then coughs back:

'Netflix video player unavailable. We cannot find all the required components to play Netflix on this device. Please visit chrome://plugins, ensure that both the "Netflix" and the "Widevine Content Decryption Module" plug-ins are enabled and their "Always allowed" setting is checked.

Which attempting to go to settings for that, crashes page I think, due to custom '--user-agent' designation on session. 

- odds are it's on, and that isn't the issue... Ran through all this on before on RasPi

From similar woes on RasPi B with ALARM ( Arch on Arm ), some time after Chrome 65, Netflix broke. Updated widevine files don't resolve either..

Appears older Chromium is what may be required for Netflix use, which is what I intend to do here and for RasPi.  

Aside from that, Kodi appears to work fine, as does GL hw accell. May try and get Quake2 up and running.... 

Will follow up with Netflix status..

• Igor pinned this topic
1 minute ago, JMCC said:

If that application you mention requires an accelerated OpenGLES canvas to display the videos, then the answer is yes. You can try, it won't harm.

Indeed. 😁

As soon as I get my Tinker Board I am going to try first and see what happens. 

@JMCC, with regard to your statement in this thread: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/3327-asus-tinkerboard/?do=findComment&comment=65627

I thought, it must be me or my power source that I have random shut off's and reboot :blink:

Jon Doe, would use the image from the https://dl.armbian.com/tinkerboard/ and expect media-script to be tested against it. I mean, we are Jon's and very happy you spent time and produced Media-Script for the latest armbian bionic.

However, no offence, but this is misleading: This script will install several multimedia-related software pieces in a RK3288 Ubuntu Bionic Armbian desktop default image (kernel 4.4.y).

2 hours ago, Tido said:

this is misleading: This script will install several multimedia-related software pieces in a RK3288 Ubuntu Bionic Armbian desktop default image (kernel 4.4.y).

Do you mean it should say "Armbian Bionic" instead of "Ubuntu Bionic Armbian"?

I am not sure you understood. Let me explain.

Husband Howard, is a lawyer, he knows enough about computers to download and partition drives. Howard reads your first post of this thread, so he expects you have tested it against a certain version of official armbian download.

He doesn't know you are much more experiendced and you brew your own armbian image.

Long story short, the armbian image is broken his experience sucks. He is disappointed. Armbian and your media-script is sheit, all he did was wasting time.

Quality means tested against a certain procedure that is reproduceable by others, not just you.

Have you tested your media-script against official Igor download image, is everything in place, is everything working?

6 minutes ago, Tido said:

Have you tested your media-script against official Igor download image, is everything in place, is everything working?

As a matter of fact, I only guarantee my script to work against the official Ubuntu Bionic Armbian desktop default image. That is the one I use as build environment, and as testing system.

1 minute ago, JMCC said:

I only guarantee my script to work against the official Ubuntu Bionic Armbian desktop default image. That is the one I use as build environment, and as testing system.

is this so, well @TonyMac32 and my tinker board had random reboot within 3-10 minutes.  Have you tested it on real hardware aka = tinker board ?

7 minutes ago, Tido said:

Have you tested it on real hardware

I'm not aware of any Tinker Board emulator out there, so I can only test on "real hardware".

9 minutes ago, Tido said:

l @TonyMac32 and my tinker board had random reboot within 3-10 minutes

I'm not aware either that Tony is having those issues when running my script with the official Armbian default image. Make sure everything is in place in your setup (double check you're using default, not mainline).

1 hour ago, Cr4z33 said:

@JMCC sorry if it's a noob question, but I was wondering if this can be used for RK3399 units too? 😬

No, I need to make another one for RK3399. I made one already, but for a 32 bit Armbian Xenial, when we were in the first stages of development for that SoC. I can search for the link if you are interested.

The 64bit Bionic can be ready in a few weeks

2 minutes ago, JMCC said:

No, I need to make another one for RK3399. I made one already, but for a 32 bit Armbian Xenial, when we were in the first stages of development for that SoC. I can search for the link if you are interested.

The 64bit Bionic can be ready in a few weeks

No thanks I rather prefer to wait then. :D

Hello,

Since a few days I am an owner of a Tinkerboard.

I installed the Bionic Image with Kernel:

uname -a
Linux b3er 4.4.156-rockchip

and the media-script 2.0.

My Problem is that I only get a black Screen while playing an HEVC-10 Bit 4K File through Kodi or any other Media Player. The Sound works perfect.

If i play a HEVC-10 Bit FHD file there is no problem all works perfect.

Btw. I only checked this with an FHD Monitor.

So should the problem mentioned above work or is downscaling at the moment not supported?

Thank You

EDIT:

I freshly installed Bionic with 4.4 and the Script. So everything instead of 10Bit-Decoding works now.

Hi there

I have succesfully installed ARMbian on my new TinkerBoard. It works like a charm - it's even taking care of my sound issue I was having with other OS's.  However, Netflix does not work. I have a "Netflix Video Player Unavailable" error message., I'm using Chromium(Streaming) to view. Same problem reported by drone1.

I also noticed that the IMDB scraper in Kodi does not seem to work - probably a question for the Kodi community but I though I could mention here too.

Finally, is there a way to autostart Kodi on boot?

Thanks for your efforts!

Edited by tony359