RK3288 Media Script (TinkerBoard)

JMCC

On 11/26/2018 at 9:33 AM, fliger said:

My Problem is that I only get a black Screen while playing an HEVC-10 Bit 4K File

TB dows not support 10-bit HW decoding, so all the work needs to be done via software. It's probably able to decode a 1080p file, but not 4K.

10 hours ago, tony359 said:

Netflix does not work.

It looks like newer versions of Chromium are not compatible with the widevine library that the script installs. I haven't found a more recent library yet. In the meantime, if you don't mind using an outdated version of Chromium, you can try to downgrade it:

sudo aptitude install chromium-browser=65.0.3325.181-0ubuntu1
sudo apt-mark hold chromium-browser

Let us know if that works

10 hours ago, tony359 said:

is there a way to autostart Kodi on boot?

You can autostart it as the root user, just by placing this line in /etc/rc.local:

kodi-gbm-wrapper

Or you can disable the desktop altogether through "armbian-config", and then run just "kodi" in your .bashrc file, if you want to autostart it as your regular user.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:23 AM, JMCC said:

TB dows not support 10-bit HW decoding, so all the work needs to be done via software. It's probably able to decode a 1080p file, but not 4K. 

Are you sure abour this? Because wikipedia says the SOC is able to handle this. And I can also confirm this twice:

First the Libreelec build for tinkerboard works like a charm and is able to play 4k-10Bit video files with a low CPU load.

And second i just tested the Rockchip player from your script and its also able to decode the files but only for a few seconds. But CPU load in this time is low.

I have to thank you for your work, the 10-Bit thing is just a tiny one and all other things are working perfect for me.

59 minutes ago, fliger said:

Are you sure abour this? Because wikipedia says the SOC is able to handle this. And I can also confirm this twice:

First the Libreelec build for tinkerboard works like a charm and is able to play 4k-10Bit video files with a low CPU load.

And second i just tested the Rockchip player from your script and its also able to decode the files but only for a few seconds. But CPU load in this time is low.

I have to thank you for your work, the 10-Bit thing is just a tiny one and all other things are working perfect for me.

I stand corrected, it does support 10-bit HEVC with the Main profile. I also know that LibreELEC uses some patches to libdrm to support 10 bit display, which we don't do ATM.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, JMCC said:

It looks like newer versions of Chromium are not compatible with the widevine library that the script installs. I haven't found a more recent library yet. In the meantime, if you don't mind using an outdated version of Chromium, you can try to downgrade it:

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, appreciated!

I have downgraded Chromium but I still receive the same error message. I have checked that I'm using version 65.  What is the next step?

Cheers! :) 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:32 PM, fliger said:

There is a post confirming that LibreElec patches allow playing of 10-bit videos in other RK SoC's. I want to experiment with it, and probably will be included in some future version of the script.

9 hours ago, tony359 said:

I have downgraded Chromium but I still receive the same error message. I have checked that I'm using version 65.  What is the next step?

I am not using Netflix anymore, so I cannot tell for sure. I'll probably remove that feature from future versions of the script.

However, here are some suggestions that may work:

• Look for a compatible version of the widevine-cdm library for Chromium
  • Use the Kodi Netflix add-on
  • Use Exagear Desktop to run Chrome Browser for x86

Please let us know about your findings.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:57 PM, fliger said:

Nice to here that. Unfortunately I dont know how to apply those patches so I just wait and hope for your solutions.

Don't be lazy to learn something new. You just need to edit 1 file to do it, here (step 6 for you)

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your great work (@all)

I have a bug with xubuntu 18.04 and media-script.sh 2.0 on TinkerBoard : gpu acceleration works, but enabling xfce compositor makes disappear all desktop icons

When compositor is disabled, icons reappear

I'd like to have a compositor for transparency

This bug seems to come from GTK and Rockchip xserver 1.18 and 1.19

The bug also appear with mate

No problem with lxde or enlightenment

I tried to bypass xfwm with Compton but it doesn't work well 

Thank you for your time

10 minutes ago, chrisdo said:

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your great work (@all)

I have a bug with xubuntu 18.04 and media-script.sh 2.0 on TinkerBoard : gpu acceleration works, but enabling xfce compositor makes disappear all desktop icons

When compositor is disabled, icons reappear

I'd like to have a compositor for transparency

This bug seems to come from GTK and Rockchip xserver 1.18 and 1.19

The bug also appear with mate

No problem with lxde or enlightenment

I tried to bypass xfwm with Compton but it doesn't work well 

Thank you for your time

Yes, it is a known bug in Rockchip's X server, you can find it in some other places in the forums, as well as in Rockchip's GitHub issues. That is the reason why the script disables compositing by default.

We're working on using a different driver (armsoc instead of glamor), that allows compositing, though at the cost of a great performance loss. I will still recommend disabling compositing, even with that new driver, but you'll be able to enable it if you want.

UPDATE: Web streaming fixed! I uploaded a new package with updated versions of widevine and flash. Just download it from here, install it, and you're good to go. Tested with the latest version of Chromium, 71.0.3578.80.

Now it also supports Amazon Prime Video, which didn't work with the former version.

@tony359 You may be interested in this.

Thanks JMCC - I appreciate your help.

However, I have given up on the TB. I only needed a media player for my old TV and the TB was a world of pain so I bought an Amazon stick instead. For anything else a RPi has way more support. The TB is not so much faster than the Pi 3 so I decided to return it. Cheers for keeping this up and running! :thumbup:

Wait, what? Not much faster? If you say at burning energy during operation, I agree; otherwise, I think every benchmark on the planet is against you. I have 2 Pi3's, I can't use them because they are slower than very nearly every other board I possess, they collect dust. My Pi2 serves to play music for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have a Pi3 and RPi2 as well. Yes, the TB is a bit faster but doesn't justify the efforts. First and Foremost, the slower WiFi - the Pi loads my 30GB+ ISO files in 4-5 seconds from my NAS, the TB takes 30 seconds. I had to install three different OS's on the TB to have sound out of it. I cannot update it easily or the whole thing goes belly up. 

The Pi was much easier: OSMC and off you go.  UI is a bit more choppy but not by far.

The Fire Stick is faster than both. I have Kodi on it which runs faster than both the TB and RPi. BBC iPlayer runs twice as fast and I have Netflix and anything else too. 

So, *for a media server* the Stick was a *much* better choice. Also, much cheaper (paid it £24 from Amazon) and does not require fans/cases/keyboards etc. Clearly for tinkering, a SoC is the solution. But I have a RPi for that.

11 minutes ago, petatester said:

I noticed dragging urls (youtube) to mpv makes it inmediately crash/close. Is this the expected behaviour?

Wow, I had no idea you could do that in mpv :).

I tried it, and it seems like you need to install the package "youtube-dl" for the feature to work. I didn't test dragging the url, but playing it from the command like works. Even more, if you use the gbm wrapper, you can even play 4K videos smoothly!

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
mpv-gbm https://www.youtube.com/blahblah

1 hour ago, JMCC said:

Wow, I had no idea you could do that in mpv :).

I tried it, and it seems like you need to install the package "youtube-dl" for the feature to work. I didn't test dragging the url, but playing it from the command like works. Even more, if you use the gbm wrapper, you can even play 4K videos smoothly!

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
mpv-gbm https://www.youtube.com/blahblah

Facepalm i thought youtube-dl was included in the package, i didn't even make the effort to try install it. Soz.

How ever, my output is quite different:

test@tinkerboard:~$ mpv-gbm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ
Playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ
[ytdl_hook] WARNING: Unknown codec av01.0.05M.08
No audio streams in file https://r3---sn-h5q7knee.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?txp=5532232&requiressl=yes&fvip=2&expire=1547576568&ipbits=0&mime=video%2Fmp4&clen=527968855&gir=yes&itag=401&mn=sn-h5q7knee%2Csn-h5q7dnes&signature=4640785288523C52191D08E23DCDA14B13590D80.4BEA53D4F4B931025089B08FF8B02EF6B3D8CE3E&mm=31%2C29&ms=au%2Crdu&mv=m&mt=1547554874&dur=313.780&ei=mNA9XILRGpjX1gbW8bHoCA&lmt=1546532984364249&ip=80.26.96.203&aitags=133%2C134%2C135%2C136%2C137%2C160%2C242%2C243%2C244%2C247%2C248%2C271%2C278%2C298%2C299%2C302%2C303%2C308%2C313%2C315%2C330%2C331%2C332%2C333%2C334%2C335%2C336%2C337%2C394%2C395%2C396%2C397%2C398%2C399%2C400%2C401&id=o-AO_OaCGUzlsNuqsOIsJ-UuWGRnrZyELCP93_YYC3-WL4&key=yt6&c=WEB&keepalive=yes&initcwndbps=1190000&source=youtube&sparams=aitags%2Cclen%2Cdur%2Cei%2Cgir%2Cid%2Cinitcwndbps%2Cip%2Cipbits%2Citag%2Ckeepalive%2Clmt%2Cmime%2Cmm%2Cmn%2Cms%2Cmv%2Cpl%2Crequiressl%2Csource%2Cexpire&pl=16&beids=9466588&ratebypass=yes.
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (vp9 3840x2160 59.940fps)
[vo/gpu] VT_GETMODE failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set up VT switcher. Terminal switching will be unavailable.
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to get EGL display.
[vo/gpu] Failed to setup EGL.
[vo/gpu] Failed initializing any suitable GPU context!
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (--vo) device.
Video: no video
No video or audio streams selected.

Exiting... (Errors when loading file)

O.S: Armbian_5.70_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.14_desktop

Mediascript: 2.0

If i open the normal mpv and drag the same link it works for few seconds, then the entire tinkerboard turns off :o

5 minutes ago, petatester said:

O.S: Armbian_5.70_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.14_desktop

Mediascript: 2.0

Again: as you can read in the documentation and in the first post, the script is to be used with the default kernel (4.4.y). You are using Next (4.19.y). That is not supported.

12 minutes ago, JMCC said:

Again: as you can read in the documentation and in the first post, the script is to be used with the default kernel (4.4.y). You are using Next (4.19.y). That is not supported.

My bad, downloading the legacy one :) ty!

Maybe the script could do a kernel check before instlling anything to avoid fools like me?

1 hour ago, JMCC said:

There you have:

kernelVersion="$(uname -a)"

if [[ $kernelVersion != *"tinkerboard 4.4."* ]]; then
        echo "Kernel version not supported"
        exit
fi

Now i have Armbian_5.70_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.166_desktop + media script and tinkerboard shuts down when opening chrome or trying to play a youtube video with mpv / mpv-gbm.

3 minutes ago, petatester said:

tinkerboard shuts down when opening chrome or trying to play a youtube video with mpv / mpv-gbm.

Could it be lack of power? When you enable that stuff, you demand a lot on the board. Try something like "stress -c 4", and if it also shuts down the board, then that's the cause.

1 hour ago, JMCC said:

Could it be lack of power? When you enable that stuff, you demand a lot on the board. Try something like "stress -c 4", and if it also shuts down the board, then that's the cause.

stress -c 4 output is:

stress: info: [2841] dispatching hogs: 4cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0hdd

I stopped it after few minutes because it wasn't printing anything else. Or should i leave 10/15min?

PS: With Big Buck Bunny 1920x1080p60 offline (http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html) mpv works great. So looks like only fails with urls. For browser i switched to firefox.

Pssssst:

image.thumb.png.285280d58ff052c69597ddeb2ecb85d9.png

So, this has @Myy's work with the patchset that got dropped on the mailing list for vdec, I've gotten everything building properly (minus a wireless driver and we don't have 1.7 and 1.8 GHz opps)

I ran the media script ans installed everything.

I'm watching a 1080p mp4 at fullscreen, here is my armbianmonitor -m:

Time        CPU    load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq   CPU  C.St.

05:41:25: 1608MHz  1.00  20%   3%  16%   0%   0%   0% 51.7°C  0/11
05:41:30: 1608MHz  0.92  20%   3%  17%   0%   0%   0% 50.4°C  0/11
05:41:35: 1608MHz  0.92  21%   3%  17%   0%   0%   0% 50.4°C  0/11
05:41:40: 1608MHz  0.93  19%   3%  15%   0%   0%   0% 51.2°C  0/11
05:41:45: 1608MHz  0.93  20%   3%  17%   0%   0%   0% 50.4°C  0/11
05:41:50: 1608MHz  0.94  21%   5%  16%   0%   0%   0% 51.7°C  0/11

http://ix.io/1zbd

As for functionality, gstreamer does not seem to want to work, so I would guess the vdec isn't operational yet, or something isn't quite right.  In any case, there is hope, perhaps.  ;-)

Be sure that ROCKCHIP_MPP is enabled in the kernel configuration. It's not automatically set up.
The driver is available in "Device Drivers -> Staging drivers -> Rockcihp MPP".

Generally you get some warning, like for the Realtek staging driver, telling you that the code isn't that great, etc...

I'm getting this:

[vo/gpu] VT_GETMODE failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set up VT switcher. Terminal switching will be unavailable.
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to get EGL display.
[vo/gpu] Failed to setup EGL.
[vo/gpu] Failed initializing any suitable GPU context!
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (--vo) device.
Video: no video

with the mpv-gbm.  with mpv (I assume it's still the Armbian default) it plays video smoothly, but is, like above, using 25% or so of the CPU to do it.