banana pi single boards

constantius

Why dont you provide support to the Banana pi single boards ? Many of them very interesting. Support is also very weak and short.  I know that the last 2 boards from bananpi were based on mediatek and realtek CPU. ( R2 W2 ) They was specialized single boards as router and storage NAS board.  why not to try?

It's stupid to combine routing/firewalling with NAS and multimedia stuff on the same device. On a router/firewall you do NOT want to increase attack surface by unnecessarily running any unneeded services (especially no graphics stuff). Also you usually do NOT want to expose your NAS to the whole world (security best practices).

Have you ever seen a RealTek SDK? Yeah, me neither. The W2 is a 'closed source' thingie (running Android and a chrooted OpenWRT/Linux inside) and the R2 might maybe supported sometimes in the future if mainline kernel support evolves and someone wants to spend his spare time on a questionable device (again: you do NOT want to combine routing/firewalling with NAS and multimedia stuff on the same device)

23 minutes ago, radek said:

Why dont you provide support to the Banana pi single boards ?

Why should we?

23 minutes ago, radek said:

Many of them very interesting.

To you? Maybe. To others? Maybe not. Especially for people who may need to do development and not just use images already made by others.

24 minutes ago, radek said:

Support is also very weak and short. 

And why should we work on improving that?

24 minutes ago, radek said:

why not to try?

But why don't you try this also?

Since we received more support requests than actual board bring up threads I'm locking the "Board Bring Up" subforum. If somebody posts a proper bring up worthy thread any moderator or developer should be able to move the thread there.

It comes from a few things, vendor relations is one of them, but not the only one.  There is often an issue with vendor software and documentation being incomplete/incorrect/non-existent, sometimes hardware bugs, etc.  It may be improving, I haven't checked recently.