Odroid C2 - update to v5.44 / v5.45 not working?

matt407

Hi,

with my Odroid C2 I experience a strange behaviour regarding Armbian Updates.
Initially Armbian_5.38_Odroidc2_Debian_jessie_default_3.14.79 was installed,
after installation I did an upgrade to Debian Stretch.
Meanwhile a new Armbian version v5.44 / v5.45 with a newer Kernel is available for Odroid C2 devices.
If I do "apt update" and "apt upgrade", a newer version isn't visible or would be installed?
The system is stuck on v5.38 with Kernel 3.14.79:

"
Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.38 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 3.14.79-odroidc2   
Linux lx 3.14.79-odroidc2 #14 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 25 05:46:07 CET 2018 aarch64
System load:   0.39 0.28 0.30   Up time:       1 day
Memory usage:  19 % of 1975MB   IP:            172.x.x.x
CPU temp:      57°C           
Usage of /:    51% of 7.0G   
"

When I do "dpkg -l | grep armbian", I see the following:
"
ii  armbian-config                       5.45                           all          Armbian configuration utility
ii  armbian-firmware-full                5.38                           all          Linux firmware-full
ii  armbian-tools-stretch                5.44                           arm64        Armbian tools, Cubie bt utils
ii  hostapd                              2:2.6-4~armbian5.38+1          arm64        IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator
ii  sunxi-tools                          1.4.2-2~armbian5.38+1          arm64        tools for working with Allwinner (sunxi) ARM processors
"

Has anyone an idea, what happens here?

Many thanks,
Matt

12 hours ago, matt407 said:

ii  armbian-config                       5.45                           all          Armbian configuration utility

Your installation is on 5.45

12 hours ago, matt407 said:

Has anyone an idea, what happens here?

What Armbian displays with Igor's motd stuff is broken. That's all. The motd routine displays a meaningless version number based on one package's version that does not get updated every time Armbian's version number increases. It's only there to confuse people and generate unnecessary support efforts. Don't expect this to be fixed :-)

Hi tkaiser,

thank you for your reply. I'm a bit confused because I thought there is an 4.x Kernel currently the mainline kernel and version 4.14 is at test status? When I look at the download page, kernel version 3.14.79 is listed as unsupported?

The reason for the version output is file /etc/armbian-release. I don't know if there is an impact on the armbian installation, if I change the version in this file?

cat /etc/armbian-release
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=odroidc2
BOARD_NAME="Odroid C2"
BOARDFAMILY=odroidc2
VERSION=5.38
LINUXFAMILY=odroidc2
BRANCH=default
ARCH=arm64
IMAGE_TYPE=stable
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm64
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image

P.S. No problem, if the "issue" isn't fixed, if I understand the mechanism behind ;). In my personal opinion, it will not miss a motd like this on armbian - I like it!

3 hours ago, matt407 said:

No problem, if the "issue" isn't fixed, if I understand the mechanism behind

Well, every other week the same question is asked here so the mechanism to display a random version number contained in /etc/armbian-release that is part of one specific package that doesn't get updated each time Armbian version number is increased is obviously misleading.