OV5640 driver

6 hours ago, chwe said:

hmmm.. It's not that worse... A OV5460 driver is upstream.. and there are people trying to bring the CSI up:

but still nobody patched the legacy driver for CSI_EN/CSI_PWR_EN pins support, so we have 2 kernel options - 1 partially broken and 1 not developed yet.

59 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:
8 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

1 partially broken and 1 not developed yet.

Sounds like ARM development summarized into 1 statement. :P

:lol: I think this statement needs  one more: 1 only possible with reverse engineering due to NDAs/lack of documentation.  

Well, as long as the people which're using those cameras aren't willing/able to fix it... We might add it to the 'known issues' and let's 'wait and see' if somebody wants to fix it.

I'm trying to launch a gc2035 camera on my 4.14.18-sunxi OrangePi PC, but i can't find gc2035 using modprobe

There are lot of topics and FAQs about problem, but none of the solutions don't work for me yet. I will describe my attempts in a few hours, but i hope that anybody has an answer what should i do.

Is it even possible on my version? What should i do to let them work?

On 6/2/2018 at 3:00 AM, maxim26 said:

I'm trying to launch a gc2035 camera on my 4.14.18-sunxi OrangePi PC, but i can't find gc2035 using modprobe

It's been discussed before: mainline kernel has no support for the CSI interface that the camera uses. If you want to use the camera you have to use legacy kernel.

I think this is all out of date. I am running a 4.16 on FriendlyArm H3 and H5 boards which all have CSI enabled and working OV5640 hardware. These are the FA CAM500B models.

A set of patches was posted to the V4L list some months back with a CSI driver and subsequent device tree mods.

The CSI/OV drivers are enabled (and built-in) in the latest FA distros. Should be trivial to port to the Armbian set ups.

FWIW my experience with the OPi camera was _terrible_. Apart from being limited to 2MP max, they never 'worked' at better than VGA and image quality was appalling. 

HTH.