USB HDD not recognized Odroid - Armbian 5.44

Roby86

Dear all,

I have a problem related to my freshly installed Armbian 5.44 on Odroid C2. 

Everything is working fine except my external HDD is not recognized anymore. On v5.33 all was working fine.

Disc is 500 GB, ext4 formatted. I'm using original power supply from Odroid C2 and haven't got power issues so far.

Here is output of armbianmonitor -u :

http://ix.io/1bZw

Thanks in advance! ;-)

21 minutes ago, Roby86 said:

On v5.33 all was working fine.

With which kernel?

I noticed that sometimes USB is not going op. Try to power cycle with attached HDD.

Kernel is Mainline 4.14.40.

Yes, external HDD is attached all the time, I haven't disconnect it at all.

It just doesn't give any signal at bootup (no signs of spinning up) or power LED working on HDD case.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:35 AM, Roby86 said:

I see. The directly connected hard drive doesn't work for me as well, while it works over the self-powered hub: http://ix.io/1c70 This is a possible workaround until this is not resolved.

This is a bug in upstream right now with the dwc2 driver and the hub on the Odroid C2. The workaround is to plug in two USB devices, doesn't matter what kind, before booting. Your devices will be recognized. This needs to happen every time you reboot. You could use a USB flash drive and your USB HDD.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:35 AM, Roby86 said:

Kernel is Mainline 4.14.40.

It just doesn't give any signal at bootup (no signs of spinning up) or power LED working on HDD case.

The Mainline Kernel is 4.14.40 - is the Kernel available in the repositories? I cannot see it there?

My C2 is still on version 3.14 ..... 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, Ryan said:

This is a bug in upstream right now with the dwc2 driver and the hub on the Odroid C2. The workaround is to plug in two USB devices, doesn't matter what kind, before booting. Your devices will be recognized. This needs to happen every time you reboot. You could use a USB flash drive and your USB HDD.

I moved from Hardkernel Ubuntu 16.04 to Armbian Stretch
mainline kernel 4.14 and I'm in same trouble too.

After boot the odroid-c2 with no attached devices or with HDD only, thumb drives and HDDs do not work any away.

But if an thumb drive is attached before boot, after, removing it or not other thumb drives and HDDs are recognized as expected. 

I have the same problem with my C2 running the latest stable Armbian with Kernel 4.18.8. I also can plug in another USB device and suddenly my HDD comes to life. But is there a permanent fix available for this problem or should I keep on wasting a thumb drive?

On 1/27/2019 at 10:35 PM, TonyMac32 said:

@Heimdall is this a new install you're working on?  If so I'd recommend going with the newest images, 4.19 LTS kernel. 

Nope, old install (but it was next before) so there is no upgrade 4.18 -> 4.19? I have Stretch mainline.. but its 4.18 kernel :) So should I switch kernel to linux-image-next-meson64=5.71?

1 hour ago, Heimdall said:

So should I switch kernel to linux-image-next-meson64=5.71?

Yes. C2 was merged into meson64 family and special C2 kernel package will not be receiving updates anymore.

4 minutes ago, Igor said:

Yes. C2 was merged into meson64 family and special C2 kernel package will not be receiving updates anymore.

So my C2 seems to be on the right way :)
ARMBIAN 5.73 stable Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.19.18-meson64

Linux odroid-c2 4.19.18-meson64 #5.73 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 29 06:07:30 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux