static network config in debian9 and newer armbian images

dolphs

Hi - I flashed a new nanopineo2 with debian9 ( Armbian_5.44.180510_Nanopineo2_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.40 ) and set this to stable build before updating to latest "stable".

Next step after reboot is to configure my static network ( eth0 ), but here things tend to be a bit different than previous flash ?

Previously in advanced I edited /etc/network/interfaces to add my DNS-servers but in this build it seems " Network is managed by NetworkManager " so I instea I used " nmtui " to set these for "Wired Connection 1". Unfortunately I still see in /etc/resolv.conf : " nameserver 8.8.8.8 " first before my entries. I like to get rid of this nameserver but I am unable to find it. Anyone please? TiA!

On my NanoPi Neo2 with ARMBIAN 5.46.180603 nightly Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 4.14.47-sunxi64

the /etc/resolv.conf is controlled by the NetworkManager via nmtui.

So the content of my file looks like:

root@nanopineo23(192.168.6.23):~# more /etc/resolv.conf

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 192.168.6.3
search GUIDO

Check the templates for resolv.conf at /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/ :

ls -1 /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/

base

head

original

tail

in the file /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/original I have these lines:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 8.8.8.8

But this should be replaced by the NetworkManager to the Dynamic resolv.conf which do you could see at the top.

thanks a lot, this helped a lot.

I managed now by cleaning file " head " as that contained the google DNS entry I was looking for and is the primary entry.  

The tool " nmtui " still can be used to add DNS entries, but instead I believe these can be added to " head " so no need to use the text user interface.

thanks again

isn't jessie deprecated now anyway, since stretch came to life officially last year.

I am aware many are still on jessie as it will be maintained till 2020?

Anyway, DNS I assume in Stretch either " /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d " or as it used to be ( thru /etc/network/interfaces ) in Jessie.