Tinker/MiQi default kernels

TonyMac32

Anyone who typically updates on nightly kernels I would recommend freezing and not updating until we clear up some issues gifted us by some large amount of upstream changes that broke well, pretty much everything.  I will update this thread as things get brought back to life.

• June 7th 2018: 
    • I've made a branch (rockchip-default) to work out the kinks.  So far I have the board booting and Mali working again (with an initial error on load) , however there is no HDMI terminal, so initial boots would require a uart or SSH
    • hdmi terminal is back thank you to Ntemis on github, I'd missed part of the conversation (I only have cell phone while at work)
  • July 19th 2019:
    • an issue with kernel 4.4 and spidev came up, no one is apparently using it, in any case Pi Supply found it while updating Tinker Board support.  Fix committed. 

• Igor pinned this topic
1 minute ago, re-keto-uma said:

Why not release a ubuntu 18.04 nightly with mainline kernel for tinker board?

Did you check download page? 

6 minutes ago, Igor said:

Did you check download page? 

There isn't a ubuntu_bionic_desktop with 4.14 kernel. Only find 4.4 kernel one and 4.17 kenrel one (without desktop).

Just now, re-keto-uma said:

Only find 4.4 kernel one and 4.17 kenrel one (without desktop).

Well. We can't build all possible combinations. It is already too much. 

Download 4.17, go to armbian-config -> system and install the desktop. It's quick and easy.

1 minute ago, Igor said:

Download 4.17, go to armbian-config -> system and install the desktop. It's quick and easy.

I'll try it. Thanks 

On 6/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, Igor said:

I have tried 4.17 today. But it seems that it has many serious issues. For example, it takes about 5 to10 minutes to boot. When run simple commands, it may crash sometimes.And I can't  config network settings via Armbian config, I don't know why, but I think it's some divers can't work well that result these. But in 4.14 ,anything works well. I still think 4.14 is a better choice now. 

@igor I will take a look at 4.17 later today and let you know, my typical test time with it got taken up by Rockchip kernel shenanigans.  I thought we were sticking to lts on shipped images.

4 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

@igor I will take a look at 4.17 later today and let you know, my typical test time with it got taken up by Rockchip kernel shenanigans.  I thought we were sticking to lts on shipped images.

No need. We are sticking to LTS. I don't really pay a lot of attention to what is enabled for nightly ... changed to NEXT https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/8f47d7fab97f3a97da9af671365dc5d6dca64052 

Well they should know, I would hope. :-P. But then again their updates to the kernel rendered our kconfig not only not booting, but not even building...

10 days with no Rockchip feedback of any kind on the issue, I think we've been more helpful to hem than they to us.  The GPU error is still there, but it seems to only involve the power model and the functionality still works.  I haven't tried to re-enable the touchscreen yet, next on the list, that *should* bring us back to feature parity.

The 4.17 had an issue with DRM drivers requiring a "little" fix. Without that one, you'd suffer from heavy slowdowns, due to Video output related IRQ being disabled while no IRQ handler is doing anything.

https://github.com/Miouyouyou/RockMyy/blob/master/patches/kernel/v4.17/0007-drivers-drm-rockchip-Enable-IRQ-on-unbind.patch

Now, I didn't try the 4.17 release due to bad timing issues (I'm building a new PC currently). I'll test it this week and see how it fares !

Also, you need that patch if you want to use the Midgard drivers with a 4.17 : https://github.com/Miouyouyou/RockMyy/blob/master/patches/Midgard/r19p0-01rel0/0009-GPU-ARM-Midgard-Adapt-to-the-new-mmap-call-checks.patch

This one is nasty because the user-space drivers will fail mmap2 call silently with -EOVERFLOW errors and the whole 3D stack will fail to perform any operation. This basically translates in getting a framebuffer/DRM console but no X11 starting or anything.

Bumping with a fix to the Spidev on 4.4 kernel, had a compatible string mismatch.  Noted by Pi Supply as they used the small unreported bug as a reason they should support only Raspberry Pi.  (Also they are using the device tree platform string for board detection, so it will break as soon as any new ASUS boards see the light of day)

• Igor unpinned this topic