pine64: massive date/time clock problem

linda

45 minutes ago, bwims said:

I'm not running Armbian

Than you are not our "customer" we can help. Download Armbian. Its in any case much better than what you run now. One of the biggest difference is support. For Armbian you can count to get it, for the other whatever thing you are using, you are on your own.

I attempted to upgrade one of my Pines running 4.19 to 20.04 LTS. It didn't complain, but I discovered when it rebooted that the installation had wiped out several files in my /boot directory. No idea why, but I couldn't recover from it.

I ended up just starting from scratch with the Armbian Focal distribution. I'm now running that on two of my three Pines (I finally gave up on the fourth one, as it kept having various hardware issues). It's only been a couple of days, but there've been no time jumps yet with the new kernel (5.4-43).

On 7/2/2020 at 8:48 PM, goathunter said:

Update: It's been a little over two weeks now, and all three of my Pines are running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with the 5.4-43 kernel, and all have been running without problem.

are these pines on clusterboard

5 minutes ago, chaseadam said:

just experienced this issue again in fedora which uses an upstream kernel. Is armbian using any special patches for this issue?

Armbian is doing many things to get stuff to work, fix bugs, etc.  In fact that is one of the primary raisons d'être for Armbian in the first place, as well as one of the main differences between Armbian and Debian/Ubuntu.

Insofar as running GNU/Linux on SBCs goes, Armbian is likely your best bet, unless you really want to start digging deep into kernel patches and other stuff like that.  Sorry if you are a Fedora guy, but other distros (including upstream mainline Debian themselves) are no where close to us in this regard, on SBCs anyway, due to all the various hardware and other peculiarities of these otherwise fascinating little boards...

Hi,

I understand that Armbian now provide the kernel for the Dietpi distribution for the Pine A64.

What I need to know is whether this patch is now incorporated in 5.15.25-sunxi64 .

I've read every post and I can't quite figure out whether it still needs a line in /boot/config-5.15.25-sunxi64,

whether it is part of the standard kernel, or whether I would need to compile it and patch it (I hope not because I have no idea how to do that!)

Any information would be very much appreciated!  I have two Pine A64s, one of them has this bug but the other doesn't - though that one takes it into its head to simply die after a few hours.... sigh!

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Werner,

I don't think I made myself clear.  They use your kernel that you develop.  They say this:

Just to avoid a misunderstanding. DietPi is not doing any kernel development.

We simple use the kernel as they are provided by the base image we use to run DietPi scripts on.

Therefore we are not really able to answer what has been included into 5.15.25-sunxi64. This would be more a question to Armbian guys.

So all I am asking is whether your current kernel contains the patch discussed in this topic, not anything about Dietpi.   

Say for example I had installed Armbian with this kernel on a Pine A64.  Would the patch be incorporated in it?

Thanks!

Brian

Well if for example you had an issue with Debian kernel and ask directly at kernel.org they would point back to Debian even if they would state to not do any adjustments/development  ;)

Anyway I do not know about this particular patch but feel free to the patches, that are applied on top of 5.15.y-sunxi here:

https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/kernel/archive/sunxi-5.15

I'm perfectly willing to install Armbian if needed.  I simply need to get a reply from someone who knows a lot more about kernels than I do! 🙂

I thought one of the reasons for forums like this was to enable the less gifted to get help from the more gifted, not just RTFM. 🙂  (I wouldn't have the first clue how to investigate a kernel tree.)

Surely there must be someone who contributed to the above discussion who was a kernel maintainer?    I get it that you don't know, maybe better to let someone else reply?

Thanks again

Brian

46 minutes ago, bwims said:

I thought one of the reasons for forums like this was to enable the less gifted to get help from the more gifted

It is. Everyone who reads this can freely volunteer to answer your question. I just wanted to point out that it may not receive any attention from Armbian developers themselves.

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/#support-time

I understand and would not expect any special help.  My point is that this problem in this thread has been thoroughly discussed, and a solution found.

I wouldn't think it a huge overhead just to say, yes it is the production kernel or no, you have to patch it yourself. 

I'm sure someone with more Armbian experience than me could read this thread and work it out. 

It's only a shame that the discussion ended on the terms of "Yay, it works for me" rather than "it will now go into the production kernel".   

Maybe it did. I just don't know enough about it.

Thanks anyway.

In fact, everything has been rock solid for me since I got rid of a couple of boards that obviously had hardware issues (those were different problems that had nothing to do with Armbian). My point is that the Armbian distributions for my Pine A64s and RockPro64s has been problem-free since late 2020.