rtl8812au driver problems

Kradziej

Hi,

I'm trying to use orange Pi PC+ as router with AWUS036ACS rtl8811au wireless card. I did benchmarks on PC with ubuntu 16.04 and driver from github
(8812au version 4.3.20-beta). I can achieve max throughput possible on speedtest at very close range (120Mbit). Same driver on orange pi mainline Armbian Stretch
and barely can hit 10Mbit mark.
Tried different drivers and default driver from kernel tree which is version 5.15 and results are the same, miserable. I have 2nd orange pi with legacy kernel, tried only
one driver that I could compile there (4.2.2) and results are somehow better but still far from PC.

Any ideas where this bottleneck could come from? Where should I start searching for solutions?

1 hour ago, Kradziej said:

Where should I start searching for solutions?

Use drivers supplied with an armbian kernel (I could not find better ones) ... update your PC+ to nightly NEXT (or DEV) with kernel 4.14.y./4.17.y Drivers work perfectly fine with all my 8811, 8812, 8814 wifi adaptors and on any board that I tried.

Thank you for that link, I checked with iperf and works perfectly in mainline 4.14.18, speedtest deceived me somehow <_<. Then I had different problem - download speeds are fine when downloading to orange pi but slow when downloading to external machine through orange pi (iptables nat masquerade). Somehow I found out and changed smp affinity for wireless card irq from 0x8 to 0xf which fixed the problem but I don't know what is the best way to make it persistent.

I had problems again and did more research into it, found out that actually it has more to do with cpu frequency then irq. If cpu governor is set to constant freq value, even lowest 480Mhz, then I have no problem with wireless throughput going to max value very quickly. With default ondemand scaling throughput goes to max slowly, sometimes it never goes to max and ssh terminal lags during speed test. Also %cpu/%irq values jump to 10-30% with ondemand scaling but with constant freq its solid below 10% during speed test.