Orange PI PC suddenly won't work

Loke

I have been using this orangepi for several years now. Today SSH stopped working (it would hang indefinitely after password prompt) so I decided to restart it by removing and re-plugging the psu cable. After that it never appeared on the network again.

1) the board lights up: green / orange light on ethernet, and one green light on MB that turns on for ~25sec then turns off for ~10sec

2) I connected it to two switches with multiple cables, none of them show the ethernet port as active (no light on the switch port)

Obviously due to 2) it doesn't appear on the router

3) microsd mounts fine on my pc, did a backup and flashed a clean image to no avail, will test the microsd later on.

Can this be caused by the PSU? or the Ethernet itself? Is there anything I can try to verify that?

Cheers

I don't have that :)

But even though I backed it up fine and I managed to install the img, when I tried to format it / delete partition later it on it failed (windows). I proceeded to try to format it on my linux pc / laptop, all failed. Laptop have it's own SD card reader so it wasn't the usb card reader I used on the PCs either.

So I tried another microsd and well it works.

Being panicky & seeing as I could do a full low level copy + write an image on it, tricked me to believe the card was ok.

Time to RMA

1 hour ago, Loke said:

I have been using this orangepi for several years now. Today SSH stopped working (it would hang indefinitely after password prompt) so I decided to restart it by removing and re-plugging the psu cable. After that it never appeared on the network again.

1) the board lights up: green / orange light on ethernet, and one green light on MB that turns on for ~25sec then turns off for ~10sec

2) I connected it to two switches with multiple cables, none of them show the ethernet port as active (no light on the switch port)

Obviously due to 2) it doesn't appear on the router

3) microsd mounts fine on my pc, did a backup and flashed a clean image to no avail, will test the microsd later on.

Can this be caused by the PSU? or the Ethernet itself? Is there anything I can try to verify that?

Cheers

Most of the time that I had the OrangePI PC to die, it was the microSD card trashed.

30 minutes ago, Loke said:

I don't have that :)

You should purchase some ...

Personally, I've about 8 of them, some CH34x, some FTDI, some CP2102, some PL2303. So, when I need one, I don't have to unplugged one elsewhere !

They are cheap, between $1 and $2 ...

I find that sometimes if I unplug my devices the card goes all wonky (not armbian's fault, but how the hardware is talking to the card...plus I think I got my hands of some UBER cheap crap cards too (yeah...gotta have good cards)

I pull the card, use my linux-lite laptop and SD card adapter, fire up Gparted, then scan the partition and fix errors...plug back in and it boots up just fine

You do occasionally

# shutdown -h now

and make a backup .img of your card right?

Yap but anyway I decided to clean install for stretch. From the corrupted img I can mount it if I specify the sdXY partition, so maybe your approach could help but again the card right now is at samsung !