u-boot timeout on OTG USB initialization

jock

Today my effort is getting the rk3288 tv box boot from USB devices.

During the initialization of the OTG USB port, u-boot complaints about dwc_otg_core_host_init() function which is timing out. I tried to manipulate the device tree chaning the dr_mode flag to host, otg and peripheral, but nothing changed. The only way to get rid of the timeout is to disable the device which, by the way, seems to not work anyway.

U-Boot 2017.09 (Jun 17 2018 - 18:55:17 +0200)

Model: XT-Q8L-V10-RK3288
DRAM:  2 GiB
MMC:   dwmmc@ff0c0000: 1, dwmmc@ff0f0000: 0
** First descriptor is NOT a primary desc on 0:1 **
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Model: XT-Q8L-V10-RK3288
Net:   No ethernet found.
starting USB...
USB0:   Core Release: 3.10a
USB1:   Core Release: 3.10a
dwc_otg_core_host_init: Timeout!
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
** First descriptor is NOT a primary desc on 0:1 **
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0(part 0) is current device
** No partition table - mmc 0 **
** First descriptor is NOT a primary desc on 1:1 **
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc1 is current device
** No partition table - mmc 1 **

The other USB device (the host-only port) works fine instead, I'm able to scan the bus and boots fine too.

I saw some tinkerboard u-boot logs around, and they also show this timeout error.

I wonder if there is any patch/workaround I'm missing or it is just the u-boot driver which is not working properly :wacko:

3 hours ago, jock said:

I wonder if there is any patch/workaround I'm missing or it is just the u-boot driver which is not working properly :wacko:

I am uncertain.  I need to spend a lot of time with Rockchip, with their last few rounds of updates they have become quit "Special" as far as their BSP is concerned.  I'm hoping this is temporary and it will stabilize (perhaps they are reaching a tagged release, which I will stick to once available) The Tinker OTG does not appear to function as I would expect, I do not have complete schematics to know if there is a GPIO needed/etc, getting OTG is a (personal) goal of mine because it is the only dedicated line not going to a soundcard, and so would allow for a better performance for a dedicated drive/etc when properly powered.

Things I know about the OTG:

-Rockchip maskrom works as a device without issue (means the controller is attached to the SOC.

-Reportedly the OTG line input is attached to the SOC as well, menaing it should be able to tell when a device is attached and use the proper mode.

- It does not do the above...

The Android code DTS handles these things quite differently, I can poke around in there at some point, but not any time incredibly soon.

11 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

The Android code DTS handles these things quite differently, I can poke around in there at some point, but not any time incredibly soon.

Could you please point to such dts? It would be at least interesting to see if there's a different driver and what and how resources are allocated for the device