1 1
mindee

NanoPI M4

8 hours ago, chwe said:

Without fact checking, I would guess that cheap plastics (e.g. HDPE) are more eco, but as said I never made an 'overall benchmark' of resources. Steel acts different to aluminum in all stages, recycling, mining and production is IMO easier.

How many times can you recycle HDPE, and what is the process?  :-P. Plastics are quite cheap to make, and relatively low energy.  It's the disposal and reuse that becomes the problem.

My point was, Aluminum is aluminum forever, unless some of the neutrons decay :lol: Plastic waste is, well, garbage.

1 hour ago, TonyMac32 said:

My point was, Aluminum is aluminum forever, unless some of the neutrons decay

Aluminum oxidizes to Al2O3 immediately..  What you see as 'alu-look' is in fact oxidized aluminum...  Steel is efficient to reuse whereas aluminum isn't (it's still a way more efficient than start from bauxite). 

1 hour ago, TonyMac32 said:

Plastics are quite cheap to make, and relatively low energy.  It's the disposal and reuse that becomes the problem.

hmm not really..  a heretic would call HDPE as 'highly viscous diesel' :lol: Okay.. diesel isn't trendy anymore but burn it,  cook water with it and gain energy out of it. Some plastics can be reused (e.g. I don't think that any of my cheap PETg filament is 'new').  America has a 'famous' history of combine plastics with benzene and gasoline, related to increase the viscosity... 

I prefer mixed cases when the SoC is on the bottom side. I would love to see that boardmakers release CAD-files of the top so that if you need things like a pinheader, you just have to adjust it slightly and print it on your own.. 3D-printers or printservices are cheap as hell as long as you don't need fancy plastics (the reason I print with PETg is cause it's the only one which is at least 'a little bit' chemical stable for the my use-cases and cheap enough, the one I would prefer is ~900$/kg and needs 350-400°C print temperature.. Not that handy for a 300$ printer :lol:). 

Is there is an aproximate release date for this board? I would totally pick one, as I was having a look to the nanopc-T4 but I think is too much of an overkill for my projects and would like to get some raspberry pi cases too for this one!

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CabröX

Waw looks amazing, definitely going to wait for it. The firsts versions of this SBC's usually come with hardware problems?

And another question, is the back part (aluminium case) like a heat sink for the SoC? And will the final version come with it? Seems so nice.

3 hours ago, mindee said:

Working on NanoPi M4 these days,  almost done

Really curious about what you did with PCIe here, how many times SuperSpeed is available at USB receptacles and so on. Can't wait for the wiki page to appear :) 

4 hours ago, mindee said:

Working on NanoPi M4 these days,  almost done, Here is the other side(not final version), would be available  in August, price is $79/99 (2GB/4GB RAM).

with this "heatsink-case/body"?

4 hours ago, mindee said:

B25D763E-E75F-4920-A6E2-3467E0875DCA.jpeg

Thank you for updating the post with this second picture!

So I would assume we have either:

• one USB3 port directly connected to RK3399 and three USB3 ports behind the internal VL817 hub sharing bandwidth or
  • all 4 USB3 ports behind the internal VL817 hub sharing bandwidth (then OTG is routed to USB-C but only as Hi-Speed?)

Same Wi-Fi chip as NanoPC-T4, optional eMMC, 2 PCIe lanes available on a header... nice! I really hope NanoPi M4 and NanoPC-T4 will be as compatible as possible so we can support them with a single image :)

On 7/13/2018 at 4:37 PM, tkaiser said:

I really hope NanoPi M4 and NanoPC-T4 will be as compatible as possible so we can support them with a single image :)

It seems that the DT files of NanoPi M4 and NanoPi NEO4 are already published on FriendlyARM GitHub. They share most parts (rk3399-nanopi4-common.dtsi) with NanoPC T4, with minor differences.