7 7
tkaiser

ROC-RK3399-PC (Renegade Elite)

8 hours ago, Redferne said:

I was trying to get "Option 3: Package the image with TPL" pure U-Boot

What we have right now is, probably, exactly what you wanted to achieve:

This boils down to having all bootloader components built from source code as opposed to having to load binary blob from vendor in the process.

I am not an expert on ATF but I understand it as a firmware running in a secure zone of the processor with a set of interfaces (eg. PSCI for power control) that let it interact with the rest of the software.

Not using ATF would mean that one had to code those interfaces themselves.

Yes. This exactly what I wanted to achieve, no blobs. But I got the impression while glancing over the U-Boot commits, that ATF was not needed for the TPL+SPL combo. I was wrong 🤣 Thanks for clearing this up 👍

@piter75 Are you planning to send the ATF "switch power domains on before reset" patch upstream to https://review.trustedfirmware.org/ ? It fixes the issue with mainline ATF + Linux where Linux will hang after rebooting; I have tested the patch with my own custom build of Debian and it now reboots 100% successfully. It would be really useful for all mainline distros if it was applied to mainline ATF.

So happy to see all this traction! I'll finally be able to use my renegade elite. ;) Just need to set up my build environment... Last step will be to make the m2 ssd available in u-boot and this thing will rock. 

Sorry for offtop, but I have some question about this SBC and Mezzanine extention before ordering:

1) Can I use power port on Mezzanine extention for powering main board?

2) USB WiFi is working, or I need to dance around with drivers/kernels etc?

3) Any body use 2 cams?

And finaly. I can't understand - Armbian allready released for this board, or not?

Thx!

9 hours ago, NAgain said:

USB WiFi is working

Most of important ones are supported out of the box with best driver found, recommended ones you can find on download pages. If you get exotics, you will have to dance. With Armbian SDK, this is easy.

9 hours ago, NAgain said:

I can't understand - Armbian allready released for this board, or not?

Officially supported:
https://www.armbian.com/download/?device_support=Supported

All:

https://www.armbian.com/download

In general:
https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-armbian

11 hours ago, NAgain said:

Sorry for offtop, but I have some question about this SBC and Mezzanine extention before ordering:

1) Can I use power port on Mezzanine extention for powering main board?

2) USB WiFi is working, or I need to dance around with drivers/kernels etc?

3) Any body use 2 cams?

And finaly. I can't understand - Armbian allready released for this board, or not?

Thx!

Mezzanine is powered by the mainboard's USB-C through its connection on the board's GPIO. Otherwise, the mezzanine does offer an m.2 key slot for a wifi module. Sadly, Libre/loverpi is jerking around backers of the board and not delivering missing parts like the wifi module and emmc, so I wouldn't rely on them for these parts.

11 hours ago, strongtz said:

Will it be possible to use the forthcoming SPI u-boot to boot armbian?

I haven't read up on this one yet, but if it is like La Frite in structure, then yes.

I build yesterday for this board, and tried it today with no luck.
I have the standard PSU that was delivered with it.
I can boot Android on a SDCard, and Firefly's Linux on eMMC, but not Armbian for the time being.
I haven't plugged UART yet, so I don't know what's going on.

17 hours ago, gounthar said:

I build yesterday for this board, and tried it today with no luck.
I have the standard PSU that was delivered with it.
I can boot Android on a SDCard, and Firefly's Linux on eMMC, but not Armbian for the time being.
I haven't plugged UART yet, so I don't know what's going on.

Does this bring some light to power supply?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/12/10/517

I'm not sure I got what you meant.
I know there are some troubles with the power units for this board, but as I use the power adapter that was supplied with my board, I thought I would be good to go.
My board can boot Android on the SDCard and Linux on the eMMC with this power adapter.
Would you mean that Armbian would take too much current when starting, so that the board shuts off by itself?

12 hours ago, gounthar said:

there are some troubles with the power units for this board

Well... the troubles are not with the power units per se but with the combination of issues in mainline kernel for this board:

• lack of support for MP8859 buck-boost converter which means it always provides 5V instead of switching to 12V
  • possible misconfiguration of FUSB302B PD chip driver used in roc-rk3399-pc

If I understand the patch correctly, Markus made some modifications to the power curve of fusb302 PD chip to switch usb-c voltage to 15V when more power is needed.

This should workaround power issues when powering from usb-c with pd compliant power units.