Can't boot Armbian-Stretch image on hummingboard2 edge v1.5 Som

torba

Question

So I downloaded Armbian Stretch image here https://www.armbian.com/hummingboard-2/

and dd it onto an SD Card. As it didn't produce any output during boot after 'uncompressing kernel' I had to add 'console=both' into the armbianEnv.txt. After that I could see that I land into (initramfs). It looked like it couldn't see the rootfs for some reason. So additionally I've changed rootdev to 'rootdev=/dev/mmcblk0p1' in the armbianEnv.txt. Still the same problem

No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

(initramfs) mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

here is the full boot log https://pastebin.com/K64xKHBd

What am I doing wrong?

2. Provided that the problem above is easy to fix, how do I start a script after the first boot? Solidrun images have /etc/runonce.d/ scripts but nothing like that in Armbian rootfs. I've seen a template in the /boot but is it possible to start a script to allocate a new partition after the first boot?

The only reason why I want to try Armbian is because I cannot use Solidrun image to boot from eMMC with the v1.5 SOC. And I've seen some patches merged into Armbian to solve this problem

8 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, torba said:

The only reason why I want to try Armbian is because I cannot use Solidrun image to boot from eMMC with the v1.5 SOC. And I've seen some patches merged into Armbian to solve this problem

They were merged into (testing) DEV branch, U-boot 2018.03 ... You can find images on the bottom of the download page. I have to note that I can't test this since we don't have a board with eMMC.

27 minutes ago, torba said:

ah you mean a complete image. I thought it just a u-boot. Ok, I'll test

Yes, complete. It's different u-boot, different boot scripts ...

so, i have tested the dev image. With the armbian_dev image been flashed on an sd card I can boot into it. But there's no /dev/mmcblk2 device visible which is the emmc. So I boot into solidrun image flashed the armbian_dev image onto /dev/mmcblk2 and rebooted. Here's the output:

U-Boot SPL 2018.03-armbian (May 30 2018 - 19:24:03 +0000)
Trying to boot from MMC1
Card did not respond to voltage select!
spl: mmc init failed with error: -95
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

it is still looks for an sd card.

3 minutes ago, torba said:

last commit 4 months ago. Doesn't look very active development to me. Well thanks anyway

Well, that's active enough :) I have seen some bits regarding eMMC in the commit logs ... while we use mainline u-boot sources, where some parts might be missing. Perhaps it's only a configuration issue. Support for eMMC is hard to implement without eMMC boards and time for R&D.