Can't boot from eMMC

deveric

Just got my Tinker Board S in... used Etcher to flash the following image to the eMMC:

Armbian Stretch 
mainline kernel 4.14.y

It won't boot.  That same image flashed to the SD card boots just fine.  I've tried using the armbian-config to install it to the eMMC that way; however, all I get are "There are no targets.  Please check your drives." 

What the heck am I doin' wrong?  New to the entire SBC realm, and got this instead of the Pi.  I don't want a desktop distro installed... just a simple distro w/ bash.  Any help would be appreciated... spent the last 6 hours trying to figure this out.  This isn't the 'tinkering' I had in mind when I got this thing.  Thanks...

Respectfully,
Eric

Edited by deveric
misspelled word

4 hours ago, deveric said:

What the heck am I doin' wrong?

Nothing. Tinkerboard S or eMMC support on Tinkerboard was not developed/adjusted yet. I got my S model earlier this week, but I am too busy even to open the package. The second problem is that stock kernel is (still?) a complete mess due to severe upstream changes. Support in a modern kernel might be even more difficult. Don't know much from a current perspective. It can be a simple way to fix this as well ...

Boot and use a system from SD media until this is not fixed since it might take some time.

19 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

The mainline kernel has been relatively good

That happened on 4.17.y ... will check it later. Anyway, I need to rebuild images to support S model. Boot and flashing part is fully supported from:

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/bb2ce93795be48f414ff223b06ea2533bd2af5ab
eMMC flashing from Windows/Linux via Etcher.

3 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Neat.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How is the situation with a legacy kernel? Is it good enough to rebuild images?

No, without the initial framebuffer you have to serial port or should in on first boot, and the touchscreen is non-functional for anyone who might want to use it. It locked up on my last test with it, more work tonight.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk