Armbian Screen Resolution Change

Android3000

Hi,

I just installed the Armbian_5.35_Orangepilite_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113_desktop.img on my 32GB SD card for my new OPi Lite.  On start-up the screen res overlaps the monitor a the top and bottom and the screen text is thin, fuzzy and illegible in places.  I can see from the Fine Tuning section of the Armbian documentation and a post by tkaiser that the h3disp utility can be used to modify the script.bin file to permanently update the start-up screen res.  I have a NEC MultiSync LCD1830 that's optimal res is 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz to 76 Hz so naturally I'm trying set this resolution.  The monitor is connected to the Opi Lite via a VGA to HDMI adaptor.  Since h3disp does not offer this resolution I was wondering if anyone knew what other options there are for achieving my required resolution?

I'd also like to know if it is possible to populate the Armbian desktop Display app (available under the System drop-down menu) with more resolution options?  The current one shows 1280 x 720, which is obviously not working well.

As I am new to Armbian, I presume using sudo with h3disp under a terminal window will allow me to change the resolution from within the GUI?

A

1 hour ago, Android3000 said:

Since h3disp does not offer this resolution

Look once again. My test setup is exactly the same, except monitor is some Philips. 

1 hour ago, Android3000 said:

I'd also like to know if it is possible to populate the Armbian desktop Display app (available under the System drop-down menu) with more resolution options? 

No, except you are the one who will do that. That feature of switching screen resolution works only on some boards with modern kernels.

In case you have some odd screen size, this is the way to add it: https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sun8i-default/z-0003-add-additional-video-modes.patch

39 minutes ago, Igor said:

Look once again. My test setup is exactly the same, except monitor is some Philips. 

Igor, thank you so much - very much appreciated for providing the link. :thumbup: The options I saw listed on tkaiser's message didn't appear to show what I was looking for, unless I am misunderstanding something? 

The resolution can be set using the -m switch.  The following resolutions

are currently supported: 

480i use "-m 480i" or "-m 0"

576i use "-m 576i" or "-m 1"

480p use "-m 480p" or "-m 2"

576p use "-m 576p" or "-m 3"

720p50 use "-m 720p50" or "-m 4"

720p60 use "-m 720p60" or "-m 5"

1080i50 use "-m 1080i50" or "-m 6"

1080i60 use "-m 1080i60" or "-m 7"

1080p24 use "-m 1080p24" or "-m 8"

1080p50 use "-m 1080p50" or "-m 9"

1080p60 use "-m 1080p60" or "-m 10"

Thanks for the additional video modes advice.  

5 hours ago, Android3000 said:

unless I am misunderstanding something?

You are referring to a document from early 2016. We have added many resolutions since. Not just we, but people who had their specific needs. Download image and type h3disp and you will see which one are available.

Just for my understanding of how things work, I notice the refresh rate is not specified.  Is the default for the h3disp -m 1280x1024 command 60Hz?  Also, where is the refresh rate saved (disp_display.c?)?

Also, Igor, does your CPU on your OPi Lite get quite hot while just running the OS?

46 minutes ago, Android3000 said:

Also, Igor, does your CPU on your OPi Lite get quite hot while just running the OS?

Yes. Small H3 boards are prone to higher temperatures due to a primitive voltage regulator and small size. H3 can go up to 90-100 by the specs so don't worry. If you can touch it and it doesn't hurt, it's ok. A small heatsink can't do any damage :)

Thanks, Igor.  I had read that others had experienced a fair amount of heating of the H3 proc so I ordered a heatsink kit for the OPi Lite, which seems to be working well enough.  Yep, it's touchable - just hope it stays that way. ;)  May get a small fan for the Perspex box if needed in the future. 

So no idea on the refresh rate question?