[solved] Tinkerboard - build Kernel and Lifetime

Tinker_Newbi

Hello,

I have 2 questions.

1. How long does the support for the tinkerboard takes. Because I'm using the Board as Server and i don't need much CPU Power but I don't like to buy every 2-4 years a new board because the support ended. The reason of this question is, the odroid c1, there is no stretch image for this board.

2. Is there a good howto, how to build a kernel on a thinkerboard with own config? Reason for this question is, I have installed the latest armbian stretch server image on my tinker board and the kernel has no ebtables support. Second Reason ist question 1, build a own Kernel and update to Debian 10,11, ...., n.

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

By using the Armbian build script, you can build a Stretch image for the C1, and also a TB image with custom kernel config. However, the TB kernel is currently not usable from the build script,  because of upstream changes that broke the build. Developers are working on it, and eventually they will bring it up again.

I thought this is only a auto builder without any options to build a own Kernel. I thought the Kernel will be downloaded and integrated to the Image. I had to test it and if there are problems with it I would write again. Second plan was to sell the Thinkerboard and to buy a Intel Nuc or something else.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Tinker_Newbi said:

The reason of this question is, the odroid c1, there is no stretch image for this board.

There are many RK3288 boards out there while Amlogic S805 C1 is only one. Support for mainline is in an infant state. It's possible to build Debian Stretch (or whatever) with K4.17.y but serial console only, eMMC doesn't work, the network also doesn't work yet, ... not usable yet, but it can be fixed up in a few months. If there will be enough interest and spare time.

You don't need to worry about RK3288. Mainline support is in a very good state, almost perfect. This means support will remain "for decades".

12 hours ago, JMCC said:

TB kernel is currently not usable from the build script,

He still can make a mainline kernel (NEXT, 4.14.y) which is any way in a better state if you don't need advanced/multimedia features. We provide cross-compilation for many reasons, but the most important is: to make it simple for an end user.

12 hours ago, Tinker_Newbi said:

is only a auto builder

Auto-builder uses the same build script with additional parameters to mark build as a daily build. It's also a testing ground to see if things are working.

TB should be just fine for the job. IMO is even an overkill for a small server.

25 minutes ago, Tinker_Newbi said:

If the Tinker Board becomes in the future support for the next Debian releases, I am Happy :-)

I assume you are using a Stretch image then?  We are not always the fastest to react when a new Debian release occurs, but as long as there is mainline support I plan on keeping the board maintained.

1 hour ago, TonyMac32 said:

I assume you are using a Stretch image then?  We are not always the fastest to react when a new Debian release occurs, but as long as there is mainline support I plan on keeping the board maintained.

Yes I have build a Stretch Image on a Lubunt 16.04 in a Virtualbox for 1 hour. But the mainline Support is my Problem. If I had bought a Intel Nuc I had Mainline Support for I think 15 years or longer (x86_64) (longer than the lifetime of the Machine ) with this board how long do you think, how long does the mainline support takes ? I only need a new Image if the support of the debian release is ending. My fear is, I must buy a new computer after 4 years.

6 hours ago, Tinker_Newbi said:

My fear is, I must buy a new computer after 4 years.

Most board makers will certainly drop support even before, mainstream distribution as well (if they support it at all) but community projects such as ours will continue to maintain support. C1 is an outsider in this sense, but if you look on some old Allwinner or Freescale models, they are still supported. Cubieboard 1, older board than C1, is running Bionic with 4.14.y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_CF_7Vbe0 Cubieboard 1 is officially end of support in our project, but you can still build images for it and it still receives kernel upgrades. The only difference is, that we don't test, fix board issues (those boards are usually very stable) or provide help.

Unless you don't go for exotics and there will be enough support for projects like Armbian, you have nothing to worry about.

Igor: Thank you for the information, i hobe you are right. I take the risk and we will show in the future.

P.S.

I have build a kde system.

- The kde task bar (kde, ..., kmix, clock) don't show any programms if there are open.

- the upperst task bar of a Window not exist.

It looks like the packages only where build to be added by other window manager.

Now I'm using lxde on my second tinker, lxde works fine. ( I have 2 tinker board, 1 as Server and the second to build a Image for the server and for me, for testing and to play :-))