Rock64 crashes on boot

bambam

New user of a Rock64 board, I've tinkered with a RaspberryPi and BeagleBone before but wanted something to set up as a home media server.

I flashed the SD card with an "Armbian_5.42_Rock64_Ubuntu_xenial_default_4.4.124" image and it worked perfectly fine at home, connecting to my network, etc.

However, I took it to a new location and it straight up refuses to boot. I've tried it on several displays and with several HDMI cables. It hangs for a solid 30-45 seconds after initiating boot with a black HDMI screen, and then turns off and back on dumping a log citing either spinup shutdown errors or a temperature shutdown on Core 0.

I've flashed a separate SD card with the same image as well as the stretch image off the main Armbian page and both of them work for a short while but then proceed to crash seemingly without change ~24 hours later.

Is there a large chance my board is simply intermittently dead or is the Rock64 known for being extremely picky with HDMI cables/monitors at boot?

Edit: Got it home to my original setup and I have no dice there. I'm at a loss - everything seems to work perfectly with the board after flashing but only for a day or so, then it gets stuck on boot. At this point I'm keen to put it down as a defective board, I'm not sure what else it would be after trying different images, SD cards, HDMI cables, and monitors.

If the board is not broken ... one possible explanation is that filesystem gets corrupted due to not perfect SD card/driver combo. But even this is a very long shot. There has been a lot of upstream kernel changes so it is hard to be sure where is the source of your problem.

10 hours ago, bambam said:

New user of a Rock64 board, I've tinkered with a RaspberryPi and BeagleBone before but wanted something to set up as a home media server.

Rock64 is nice, powerful but also a complex board. Software support is not on the same level as simple (and stupid) hardware design from 2009 (Videocore + ARM core(s), single USB2 line: RPi 1,2,3). Despite this, Rock64 works pretty well and I never experienced problems you have.