Device unreachable on LAN when powering on (XU4)

andoru

So I have this issue with the XU4, where at times when I start device from the main power button, it doesn't seem to properly connect to the LAN, in such a way that I cannot ssh to it, nor ping it. Since the device is headless, and I can't control it through LAN, I have no way of looking at dmesg during the problematic boots.  Are there specific logs I could look at to diagnose this problem?

You would need to deactivate log2ram and most probably also adjust the commit interval in /etc/fstab. Does this also occur when running Hardkernel's 'official' Ubuntu?

But first step would be to check hardware: that's the LAN cable and of course power supply (the RTL8153 USB-Ethernet chip should not be affected by voltage drop issues but who knows?). Replacing both would be the first step. Also plugging in the cable to another port on the switch/router.

Okay, I've since reflashed Armbian on the micro SD card, and I no longer had this problem... until today, when I added a partition to fstab, which makes me think your comment on that might have some relevance.

How does one deactivate log2ram? For now I've removed the binary from /usr/sbin/  as I couldn't find any pertinent guide to turning it off. Also the uninstall script that comes with the software isn't present in this distro.

also adjust the commit interval in /etc/fstab

Mind elaborating a bit?

Does this also occur when running Hardkernel's 'official' Ubuntu?

I haven't used that yet. I'll try it if I run out of options.

But first step would be to check hardware: that's the LAN cable and of course power supply [...] Also plugging in the cable to another port on the switch/router.

The LAN cable works fine as I've used it with a laptop a week or so ago.

Also the power supply is the 6A one provided by Hardkernel, so I doubt it's unfit for this SBC.

I did try to change the port to which the cable's connected, but this hasn't helped...

Sorry, too tired of dealing with user hardware problems all the time...

You can force Ethernet to Fast Ethernet (only 2 cable pairs used then) by adding 'ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on' to /etc/rc.local above the 'exit 0' line. If this improves situation it's the cable.