Can't install PINE A64-LTS to eMMC

linda

Is there a way to boot the Pine-A64 LTS with Armbian via eMMC?

I can use the SD card to boot the armian-Sopine image, but the eMMC memory is not recognized.

With the Ayufan image (jessie-minimal) on SD card (https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases), I can at least recognize the eMMC memory and using
          sudo dd bs = 30M if = Image / jessie-minimal-sopine-0.7.19-118.img of =/dev/ mmcblk1
copy to the eMMC memory. I removed the SD card and booted with eMMC.

I did the same steps with the Armbian image and write the Armbian image on the eMMC (with the Ayufan image on SD card)

sudo dd bs=30M if=Image/Armbian_5.38_Pine64so_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.10.107.img of=/dev/mmcblk1

and nothings happens after the reboot.

There are further steps that I have to carry out?

Hello,
unfortunately, I do not have a solution yet to install Arbmian on an eMMC and boot from eMMC.

The problem is very important to me because I need the PineLTS in a project.

Is it planned that the detection of the eMMC will be built into a current SoPine image. It would help me a lot.

Thanks a lot you in advance!

10 hours ago, Matthew Harding said:

and this is why Armbian will never stay in the market

Armbian is 99.5% sponsored from our own pockets so its pretty irrelevant what you or market thinks about.

10 hours ago, Matthew Harding said:

support is useless!

Check the contract you have with "us". Support is "as is".

Perhaps your hardware, which you actually paid for, is total junk? And you only waste our precious time?

If you demand that some problem gets fixed, things changes for 360. Than better start here:
https://www.debian.org/consultants/

https://www.indeed.com/q-Kernel-Hacker-jobs.html

To be fair Matthew, there don't seem to be any images for this board that can boot from eMMC that are actually being maintained. It's sad, but unfortunately it seems like it's a pretty normal problem for all these boards. There are often problems with one bit of hardware or another. Sometimes the manufacturer supplied image is working, but then you're probably stuck on an old kernel or the image comes with tons of stuff that you don't need. Still searching for the holy grail of a board that is cheap, well built and can boot from eMMC. I really wanted it to be Pine, but so far the closest is the NanoPC-T3+ although you can only run the Armbian image for the T3 and you lose half the RAM :-( Still half the RAM is better than not booting at all.

@crazystick Yeah, my hardware i bought that Armbian so proudly advertise does not function properly,  this is a huge problem for the SBC industry, and this is why another OS will come along that will be better supported,. I ask a question on here, and i only get replied to when i state something is useless, not what i asked for. This is the problem with community based OS's. 

Anyway let me take my useless hardware and use something else, Ayufan and Longsleep still have some images around. 

@Matthew Harding I think I tried those already. I think one of them also can't boot from eMMC and the other was on a 3.x kernel and some other peripheral didn't work for me. Please post an update here if one of those images does work for you. In the meantime fingers crossed someone can figure out how to make this work in Armbian, it's unfortunately beyond my skills.

16 hours ago, Matthew Harding said:

Anyway let me take my useless hardware and use something else, Ayufan and Longsleep still have some images around. 

I will notify them you are coming so both will be prepared to stop what they are doing and focus to satisfy your needs. But wait ... I think Longsleep is long gone from supporting this board (with kernel 3.10.y only) and Ayufan is busy with RK3399 since some time. You will need to find someone else.

Now read https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7783-cant-install-pine-a64-lts-to-emmc/?do=findComment&comment=82174 once again and try to understand how things are ...

16 hours ago, Matthew Harding said:

this is a huge problem for the SBC industry

Now imagine what would look like if would not waste our time to do what we do?

I had also issues when flashing an Armbian image to emmc module using the USB-adapter. I almost suggested my Pine A64-LTS or the emmc was not working properly. The solution was to flash an image to SD-card, boot from SD with module connected to the board and use the nand-sata-install script which copies a bootable copy of the system to the emmc module. Afterwards I powered-off the board, removed the SD card and the board was booting from the module :D

You should also verify if the emmc module is recognized - there should be emmcblk0 and emmcblk1 device in /dev - one for the SD card and one for the emmc module.

You can always build your own image... in the device tree (DTS) for both u-boot and kernel you should have something like this:

&mmc2 {
        pinctrl-names = "default";
        pinctrl-0 = <&mmc2_8bit_pins>;
        vmmc-supply = <&reg_vcc3v3>;
        bus-width = <8>;
        non-removable;
        status = "okay";
};

&mmc2_8bit_pins {
        /* eMMC is missing pull-ups */
        bias-pull-up;
};

(It can be a bit different for your board)

It is not easy, anyway