Odriod XU4 / Odriod HC-{1,2} Jessie - LXD an option?

BJWTech

Hello,

I am interested in getting an Odriod-HC2 to use as a small LXD host to run a couple services that require decent hard disk size and performance. Does the headless jessie or ubuntu 4.14 images support or already include LXD?

P.S.; I tried to search for this but did not see a question asked.

We don't deal with LXD but XFCE. Both are just about the same light, while IMO XFCE looks nicer (which is pretty irrelevant I guess). Jessie is EOL, so rather go for Ubuntu Xenial or Debian Stretch ... and install desktop within armbian-config. There is an option "desktop only" which is pure desktop without any apps, no browser, nothing. If you prefer/insist on LXDE it's possible with some general install on top of CLI. (Armbian is Debian/Ubuntu ) ... but if you don't tweak by hand, you will end up with much more stuff than our well-tuned XFCE based desktop.

Just stumbled upon this and realized I also run debian jessie. Does EOL mean it will not receive an update to 4.14 kernel?

Maybe it's time to switch to strecht anyways. Is there an easy way to switch from jessie to stretch..or will it be tied to incompatibilities and other issues?

1 hour ago, trohn_javolta said:

Does EOL mean it will not receive an update to 4.14 kernel?

The kernel, which is ours in any case, will be getting upgrades while Jessie userspace is(was) covered by debian.org. They stopped providing public security updates. Debian Stretch upgrade should go standard Debian way ... but be ready to start from a clean Debian Stretch build in case of failure.

On 7/27/2018 at 10:20 PM, BJWTech said:

Does the headless jessie or ubuntu 4.14 images support or already include LXD?

Personally no experiences with LXD so far so I would suggest trying it out yourself (and using most recent distro versions, that's Ubuntu Bionic or Debian Stretch).

20 hours ago, trohn_javolta said:

I also run debian jessie. Does EOL mean it will not receive an update to 4.14 kernel?

Debian/Ubuntu care about the kernel only on x86/amd64 platforms, on ARM this is provided by image creator (or Armbian in this case -- many other image creators also rely on our kernel repositories).

Jessie is EOL and should be updated to Stretch especially on arm64 since the latter platform doesn't receive any security updates any more (armhf still receives them): 

Thx for the info and sry for my last question in the wrong thread :unsure:

Could you guys recommend any procedure for updating jessie to stretch? There's so much out there.

So far I only updated ubuntu versions and as far as I remember it was sth. like apt-get dist-upgrade... Is that what you meant by standard way, @Igor?

Background: Really don't wanna mess up my current install, but yeah I have an up to date rsync backup in case sth. goes wrong.